Thanksgiving in the Caribbean

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2018, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are toying with the idea of a warm weather getaway during the Thanksgiving holiday. Where have you gone that had great weather at that time of year? We have been to Mexico (Yucatan - Cancun, Cozumel) in Nov and Dec and had great weather. We MAY return, but would like to consider other options. Our kids haven't been since they were babies. They are 9 and 13 now and will want some adventure (ie., not just hang on the beach). We have tons of Marriott points so would try to stay at a Marriott property if one is available.
Old Jun 19th, 2018, 02:56 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
How about "the other side" of Mexico? There's a really nice Marriott in the Marina district in Puerto Vallarta.
Old Jun 19th, 2018, 09:43 PM

While no one can guarantee you’ll have perfect weather conditions anywhere for Thanksgiving the entire Caribbean is blessed with good weather at that time of year.

Check out the Marriott on St. Kitts - you kids go zip lining, explore old ruins, hike the rain forest, hike to the top of a volcano, go golfing, snorkeling, sailing and kayaking, do deep sea fishing, try wind & kite surfing and plenty of other water sports.

Also, look at the Marriott on Grand Cayman where there’s some of the best snorkeling in the Caribbean. They can visit Sting Ray City, engage in every type of water sport imaginable.

Of course there are a number of other Marriott resorts throughout the Caribbean - the islands they are on will have plenty to interest your children.
Old Jun 20th, 2018, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Suze: Oh, why didn't I think of PV? We have never visited the "other side" . The Marriott there looks great for a steal. I've heard the beaches are not swimmable; do you find that to be true? Otherwise it looks lovely - and the town of PV looks like a treat too.

RoamsAround: I'm looking into the islands you mentioned... although both St Kitts and (to a lesser extend) GC have quite long travel times and connecting flight requirements. I've always wanted to visit GC, and St Kitts looks amazing!

I'm looking back at our original stomping grounds, too - Cancun - we love the Marriotts there in the Hotel Zone. Its such a quick flight and the hotels consistently deliver a great time. But it's always been just my hubby and me on getaways and we are content to lay on the beach with a book and a drink, so I'm just not sure whether there is enough to entertain the kids. We could possibly try Xel-ha or XCaret. Any advice on Cozumel as a day trip?

Last edited by 4sammy234; Jun 20th, 2018 at 04:47 PM.
Old Jun 21st, 2018, 05:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 4sammy234
Suze: Oh, why didn't I think of PV? We have never visited the "other side" . The Marriott there looks great for a steal. I've heard the beaches are not swimmable; do you find that to be true? Otherwise it looks lovely - and the town of PV looks like a treat too.

RoamsAround: I'm looking into the islands you mentioned... although both St Kitts and (to a lesser extend) GC have quite long travel times and connecting flight requirements. I've always wanted to visit GC, and St Kitts looks amazing!

I'm looking back at our original stomping grounds, too - Cancun - we love the Marriotts there in the Hotel Zone. Its such a quick flight and the hotels consistently deliver a great time. But it's always been just my hubby and me on getaways and we are content to lay on the beach with a book and a drink, so I'm just not sure whether there is enough to entertain the kids. We could possibly try Xel-ha or XCaret. Any advice on Cozumel as a day trip?

Never been to Cozumel, but I would recommend Isla Mujeres as an easy day trip if you are staying in Cancun. It's a 20 minute ferry ride to the small island. You can rent a golf cart and explore.
Old Jun 21st, 2018, 09:46 AM

I've heard the beaches are not swimmable; do you find that to be true?

No that's not true. Maybe you're mixing PV up with Cabo?

(Casa Magna) Marriott is a lovely property. I stayed there just once (I am normally in Old Town) when Alaska Air couldn't get our plane out. Close to the airport (like 7-10 mins. by taxi) located in The Marina. Spacious grounds, beautiful landscaping, huge amazing pool area, beach 'out back'. And yes downtown (Centro & Zona Romantica) is a treat. So much to see and do there, must of it free or low-cost entertainment (street performers, gallery walks, local music & dance shows, etc.). That area of town is about a 20 mins. taxi ride from your hotel, to get to the Malecon (mile long seawall promonade).
Old Jun 21st, 2018, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Suze - yes I think I assumed the same about PV as Cabo. So the beaches in PV are swimmable?

Anyway I think I have convinced myself that we should just stick with Cancun. We have stayed at the Casamagna twice and it has been perfect for us. I love the idea of a day at Isla Mujeres and the kids will love the golf cart. I think one Xel-Ha day, one Isla Mujeres, one beach day, and one open day ... makes for a perfect vacation for all of us.

Thanks all so much!
Old Jun 22nd, 2018, 05:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 4sammy234
Suze - yes I think I assumed the same about PV as Cabo. So the beaches in PV are swimmable?

Anyway I think I have convinced myself that we should just stick with Cancun. We have stayed at the Casamagna twice and it has been perfect for us. I love the idea of a day at Isla Mujeres and the kids will love the golf cart. I think one Xel-Ha day, one Isla Mujeres, one beach day, and one open day ... makes for a perfect vacation for all of us.

Thanks all so much!
Sounds like a good plan. On Isla Mujeres, be sure to drive the golf cart to Punta Sur for some really breathtaking views.
Old Jun 22nd, 2018, 08:29 AM

Yes beaches in Puerto Vallarta are all swimmable (unless there's a particular storm or undertow, when flags would go up). If you look at a map Vallarta sits within the Bay of Banderas so is somewhat sheltered. While Cabo San Lucas is at the tip of the Baja peninsula so sticking out into the rough seas. So this makes sense.

But sounds like you're hooked on the other side, so you should go there instead.

To me, and I think many people who love PV dearly, it's more about the town, the people, all the things that go on culturally, galleries, restaurants/cafes/bars, tours, outdoor activities, music & dance, etc. not so much about the beauty of the beach
Old Oct 16th, 2018, 09:00 AM

You can visit Caribbean around November. The temperature between 70 to 80 F shall be perfect for you if you love warm weather. Since this is not the season when storms are expected, it’s safe too. And you can find plenty of Marriot in Caribbean.