Search

Tell me your secrets!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2007, 04:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tell me your secrets!

I'm baaaackkkk with more questions.

I think we have decided we really want to stay at Caneel Bay. Does anyone know how to get a better deal than what the resort is offering? We are going in July 2008, and I love to plan, plan, plan. It will really bother me to wait until April/May to try to get a good deal. Is there anything I can try now? Thanks, as always, for your help!
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 04:41 AM

try www.luxurylink.com i don't think they have caneel right now but you have to keep checking. are you staying at caneel for the whole vacation now?
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 05:01 AM

You can check Classic Caribbean or especially the Virtuoso travel sites. They often include some percs (upgrades, breakfasts, etc) of special packages that you might not get going directly thru Rosewood.
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Thank you to you both! I will definitely try both of those suggestions. Virginia, to answer your question....our plan is to stay 2 nights on St. Thomas, 4 on St. John, and 4 on Tortola. I am thinking we're going to stay at Pavilions and Pools on St. Thomas, Caneel Bay on St. John, and Long Bay Beach Resort on Tortola. I keep getting mixed reviews on every place I ask about (except Caneel), so I think I just need to go with my instincts and trust what I think will be best for us.
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 07:50 AM

I can probably help you a little. Live on St. John and have been to Tortola a number of times. The Long Bay Beach Resort is pretty large and has a good look to it. We have driven past it, but not stayed there. The beach will be quite enjoyable. Tortola doesn't have St. John's beaches, of course, but this one is good. And there are several restaurants nearby. You'll find them easily. And stop at the Bomba Shack for some fun.
Pavilions and Pools has an excellent reputation.
Caneel, of course, is the top dog. The only way you can get a break there is by being a local. As in, living somewhere in the Virgin Islands. If you can figure out how to do that . . . . The best source of information about St. John, incidentally, is at www.stjohntravelforum.com.

Hope this helps, and have a good trip. Stay longer on St. John. Plenty to do.

Old Oct 20th, 2007, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Hi, St. John Captain!! I am so appreciative of your help. Thank you!! We are pretty set on Caneel Bay, even though I think the prices are outrageous AND we go, go, go so much that we spend very little time in our room. But, I have seen that Caneel Bay offers 7 beaches that we may not have access to unless we stay there. Do you have other suggestions for me?
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 08:08 AM

There should be Rosewood Summer Specials, which when we went this last summer, brought the lowest category room down significantly, and also included a free breakfast buffet. I would inquire about that, though they don't start running the special until closer.
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, mah!! That makes me feel better. When do you think those specials will be available? I don't think I am brave enough to wait until May/June (maybe not even April). I like to have everything planned well in advance.
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 01:07 PM

If you are really that anxious, call Caneel (or Rosewood) and ask when their 2008 summer rates will be out. Don't think you'll have to wait until April since that is the shoulder season right before the summer rates click in but at least into Winter.
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 02:01 PM

And calling Caneel-- even the resort directly, not just their stateside toll-free number-- costs no more than calling any state in the continental U.S.
St John Capt is not correct, by the way. One can definitely get better deals by going through places like Virtuoso (as another poster said).
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 03:08 PM
owa

Hi, This spring I looked and looked for a better deal than the summer special that Caneel offers. I couldn't find it. Breakfast plus tip is included in the summer price. One suggestion would be to book the cheapest room and then hope for an upgrade if they aren't full. They were about 80% full when we were there in August. My family of ten voted Caneel and St. John the best of 15 family trips.

Good luck. Owa

Old Oct 21st, 2007, 10:16 AM

owa,
When did you book the summer special that you mention? Like agapotravel, I wonder when they start offering that deal. Many thanks.
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 10:57 AM

I just posted a reply, but it disappeared! The Fodors "New Look" is eating posts! lol

We booked the Summer Special in May of this year for our August trip. I think it may have started showing up mid to end of April, but don't hold me to that. If you are concerned, call Rosewood customer service, which has been helpful in my experiences with representatives, ask them your questions, and they will be more than happy to help you.

On one call in preparation for our trip, I got a fabulous representative who had just returned from a property tour of Little Dix and he had also been to Caneel, so he compared and contrasted both. He also gave me the real deal type of information, for instance, not to get the meal plan for the whole time at Caneel and to go to dinner at Zozo's & Asolare, etc. He was spot on--I appreciated this honest advice as sometimes, corporate customer service representatives are only providing financially motivated advice.

Re the room category question, we stayed in the lowest category (read my trip report from August 2007), and have no regrets. Well of course I would love to stay on Hawksnest Beach in a beachfront room, that wasn't in the cards. As you will read here, and on Tripadvisor et al., the beauty and specialness of Caneel is not the Four Seasons quality rooms, rather the national park like grounds and many beautiful, undisturbed beaches on property.

If the choice is stay at Caneel in the lowest room category vs. staying elsewhere, I would choose the former in a heartbeat!
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody!! I have been doing some homework.

**Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels, Hotwire, Priceline, etc. (all the well-known travel sites) list the exact same price that Caneel Bay has on their site.

**I called Caneel Bay today, and the lady there said that she thinks the Summer Specials will be out in late December/January. Whew!! I think I can wait that long. hee hee
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 01:47 PM

Thanks mah and agapotravel.
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 07:51 AM

I've never found any online site to beat Rosewood's pricing on the 800 line. Plus if you book with them directly often you will get a compliementary upgrade if something is available.
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 11:12 AM

Having been to Caneel 7-8 times over the years I can tell you there are no discounts unless $25/day is a discount through Virtuoso. But going direct Rosewood does not pay an agency commission and if not 75+5 full you have a better chance for an upgrade but do not count on it. But, the Tennis rooms which are about the cheapest are, in our opinion, in the least desirable location on the property. You don't need Scott Beach but if you could swing Hawks Nest for 6 nights in HN and pass on tortola. The Long Bay Resort is not very nice and the island does not have much to offer other than several i/2 and full day snorkel tours for $50-$90. But at Caneel you can do 90% of your snorkeling off all 7 beaches and maybe go out 1 day for 3 hours with Sally and her tug boat at Caneel (~$40/person) a great experience. The savings of not going to Tortola can defer a good amount of 6 nights at Caneel in Hawks Nest. If you do that request a second floor room at either end (the sections only have 2 floors) no high rise buildings.Yes, that is only 8 nights but it will be a real class vacation. At Caneel I suggest you take the MAP meal plan for 4 days and go off it if you want to eat dinner in town.
I suggest you can wait until May 1 to make the reservation but why wait? If for some reson you get a much better rate in early June you can cancel your reservation and get a full refund with 30+ days notice.