Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Tentative 8 day Puerto Rico itinerary (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/tentative-8-day-puerto-rico-itinerary-261623/)

margie Sep 28th, 2002 10:54 AM

Tentative 8 day Puerto Rico itinerary

I'm hoping some of you may have some input and advice on our tentative trip to Puerto Rico.<BR>Our current plan is:<BR>arrive, 3 nights in San Juan<BR>somehow get to Rincon (anyone know the best way?) to stay two nights and do an all day dive trip to Mona Island (anyone been?)<BR>get from Rincon to Fajardo (again, should we rent a car in San Juan and drive around and leave it in Fajardo?)<BR>ferry to Vieques for 2 night stay and BioBay tour<BR>fly back to San Juan for a night to catch up and fly back to California.<BR>Does this seem reasonable? Are we missing something? We hope to see the rainforest one of the first three nights in San Juan.

S Sep 28th, 2002 11:28 AM

No bus or tyrain service on the island. There are public cars (publicos) that could be used but it would be a hassle. THe best choice is the rental car

Mariarosa Sep 28th, 2002 12:15 PM

I agree with S. It is an ambitous plan, but you will get to see different parts of the island. I really love the bio bay in Vieques!<BR><BR>You will need to rent a car. The drive from Rincon to Fajardo will be looong. The shortest route will probably take 4-6 hours. Make sure that you are not driving between San Juan and Rincon or between San Juan and Fajardo on a weekday between 3 and 6:30 PM, or you will encounter a lot of traffic.

Mariarosa Sep 28th, 2002 12:18 PM

Forgot to mention that you should make arrangements for the Mona diving before arriving on the island. It is a long boat ride (more than a couple of hours), but it's supposed to be like a mini-Galapagos. Because it's hard to access, it has stayed very pristine.

margie Sep 28th, 2002 01:12 PM

Thanks for the advice!<BR>We've decided to rent a car (at least for Rincon/Mona Island) but may drive back to San Juan and fly in and out of Vieques.<BR><BR>We have found a place to stay/charter for the Mona Island drive. Have others been there and can attest to its worthwhile-ness? It is a LONG day (boat leaves at 3:30 a.m.) but it does seem very fun.

margie Sep 28th, 2002 01:17 PM

oops, i should have said mona island dive, not drive :)

JC98 Oct 18th, 2003 08:40 PM

Hi Margie,

I did a search and saw this thread. I'd like to hear how your trip turns out and what your final itinerary was. I'm planning to do a similar trip in Nov.

How did you get to Mona Island? How was Vieques? Where did you stay?

Thanks.
Jen

mshervin Oct 24th, 2003 09:05 AM

Margie,

You don't mention when you are going or went. I did a trip with my kids for 8 days. I spent one night in vieques (originally planned on 2). The bioluminescent bay is a must. Then spent 3 days in Rincon. Went horseback riding and local diving. Spent 4 days in Dorado, which we used as the base for San Juan, Rio Camuy caves and the rain forest.

I originally planned the reverse itinerary, but my wife suggested that it would be better to improve the hotel quality as we went, and in the end it was a great move.

A rental car would be necessary in my opinion. The car can be parked at the Fajardo ferry. A taxi can take you to your hotel and pick you up for the ride back to the ferry.

We are going back to PR for a precruise stay in Rincon. We are doing a snorkel/scuba day trip (7A-2P) to Desecheo Island, which is a lot more manageable than Mona Island.

Let me know if you want any more details. Have fun.

Mike