Search

Ten reasons you might not want to visit Cuba

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2017, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ten reasons you might not want to visit Cuba

You don't like lines--changing money at a bank, 1/2 hour to 2 hours
Grocery store--twenty minutes, one cashier.
You need a good bed--the case particulares do their best, but the quality varies widely.
I presume hotels are better but at much higher prices.
You are heat intolerant--it's hot, and humid. Cars are not always air conditioned.
Casa particulares have small ac window units which barely keep up.
You are addicted to the internet--enough said
You are addicted to diet coke--almost impossible to find.
You are a foodie.
Sorry, after ten restaurant visits including La Guarida and Atelier in Havana, I have to give Cuban food a B minus. 90% of the restaurant menus could be xeroxed. Camerones, pollo, moros y cristianos (rice and beans) It's a food monoculture for the most part. I read that Trinidad went from 2 to 90 restaurants in ten years. It shows--time and competition should improve things.
You consider great wine or beer to be an essential part of a meal. Wine is overpriced and mediocre, beer is typical fizzy yellow Caribbean lager--fine for what it is, but not great.
You were expecting great scenery. Pretty average, lots of expanses of brown, and green, but nothing to write home about. Vinales, sure, but look at the photos. Not mind blowing. We didn't make it to Varadero at the end of our trip because the thought of all inclusive Cuban food and Mojitos sounded more like punishment than reward, at $500 a night.
You don't want to pay a ten percent surcharge for being American. Deserved or not.
You expect honesty in your dealings with travel agents and guides.
After months of dealing with a supposedly reliable Cuban guide (Yanaika at Pototo) with many assurances that we would be given our number one priority, a comfortable car with air conditioning because one of our party had multiple back surgeries, we were given a "classic" car with bench seats and no air conditioning. After two torturous car rides (day trip to Vinales and Havana to Trinidad) that wound up lasting ten hours instead of five, she did try to make it right, too little too late.

So there you have it, you can find some of these observations in other posts but I felt as a public service for first time travelers to Cuba a bit of honesty was warranted. And hey, look at the bright side--maybe this will slow the firehose of American travelers descending on Cuba a tad, for you Canadians and Europeans who enjoyed an American free haven.
Old Feb 25th, 2017, 12:48 PM

True that.

The balancing factor: the wonderful Cuban people !
Old Feb 25th, 2017, 01:50 PM

How could you not know what you were getting into?

There are plenty destinations that can fit a vacation bill

Cuba is an adventure. There are never guarantees. You must go with the flow

Someone with bad back--why go?

Personally no matter how hot you get it's an experience. I would be over the moon in antique car

If you want a generic vacation you could have gone a thousand other places

So really this is your top 10 reasons for you
Old Feb 25th, 2017, 03:40 PM

10. You don't like lines--changing money at a bank, 1/2 hour to 2 hours
I NEVER went to a bank - used ATM's everywhere
Grocery store--twenty minutes, one cashier.
9. You need a good bed--the case particulares do their best, but the quality varies widely.
I slept in hotels, always had good beds.
8. You are heat intolerant--it's hot, and humid. Cars are not always air conditioned.
US typical. Not all the world is AC. Maybe I went at a better time than you, didn't suffer from humidity
7. You are addicted to the internet--enough said
See my answer above. Waht is internet ?
6. You are addicted to diet coke--almost impossible to find.
See above : US addiction. IS there no Pepsi anyway ?
5. You are a foodie.
Correct.
4. You consider great wine or beer to be an essential part of a meal.
Correct - but with no good food, why should we have good wine ?
3. You were expecting great scenery. Pretty average, lots of expanses of brown, and green, but nothing to write home about.
I totally disagree. Vinales, yes, the mogotes, etc etc.
2. You don't want to pay a ten percent surcharge for being American. Deserved or not.
I'm European.
1. You expect honesty in your dealings with travel agents and guides.I also disagree.

maybe this will slow the firehose of American travelers descending on Cuba a tad, for you Canadians and Europeans who enjoyed an American free haven.

YES ! leave it to us ;-)

Seriously, sorry this is your opinion. My opinion of Cuba is fantastic. Except the food. Albeit we had a great crayfish here or there.
Old Feb 25th, 2017, 05:48 PM

"....it's hot, and humid."
" Maybe I went at a better time than you, didn't suffer from humidity"

Seriously, sorry, this is YOUR opinion. Maybe you did go a better time, or stay in air conditioning, because Havana particularly was extremely hot and humid when I was there (September). Cubans were literally dripping sweat walking around, and mopping themselves with washcloths/rags.. Why do you think they all hang out on the Malecon in the evening? To catch a cooler breeze. The heat is exhausting, hard on older or not as robust people.
Old Feb 26th, 2017, 02:01 AM

10. I used ATMS so never had an issue with lines. Don't recall issues at grocery stores either and we bought bottled water etc.

9. Had a great bed and room at the Parque Central Havana. If I stayed at a casa I would have to go with whatever they have and not complain. It's part of the experience of everyday life in Cuba.

8. A/C - was great in the hotels, again if I stayed in a casa I would not necessarily expect A/C. I can open a window in the car if it didn't have A/C. I didn't find Cuba anymore hot and humid than anywhere else in the Caribbean at that time of year.

7. Don't need internet on vacation, maybe occasionally to check emails, nothing more.

6. US products are not generally available in Cuba, I thought that was pretty well known.

5. Food is not great in Cuba, again I thought that was pretty well known. We did have a very good meal in a paladar, called Vistamar, the house was a modernist villa facing the sea in a lovely suburb of Havana.

4. I recall the wine being absolutely fine, it was South American or Spanish mainly. I drink wine from Chile and Argentina anyway and Rioja. Caribbean beer is ok with me. Cuba is not a food and wine destination, people go there for the experience. We stayed at an AI in Varadero and the food was not Cuban.

3. Scenery was typical Caribbean - the trip by road from Havana to Varadero was interesting IMO. Varadero is not a nice place anyway so you didn't miss anything.

2. I didn't take USD, I thought it was pretty well known that taking USD would incur an additional surcharge if you tried to exchange it. Best to take EUR or GBP, CAD etc. I left my Amex card at home.

1. I didn't use a TA or tour guides. Booked our own flights, own hotels direct, booked my own transfers from airport/hotel/varadero etc. Used taxis outside hotels for excursions and the driver became our guide

<<maybe this will slow the firehose of American travelers descending on Cuba a tad>> Not all Americans fail to research where they are going and many would dearly love to see Havana with all it's imperfections.
Old Feb 26th, 2017, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Absolutely, just my opinion and all valid responses, especially the primary reason to go, which is the Cuban people, followed closely by the music.
I wanted to read the review I wished I had seen before I left for a bit more reality and a little less over the top love for Cuba.
Old Feb 26th, 2017, 06:52 AM

yep it can be hot in certain months...january was exceptionally pleasant...very easy to sort out in advance

A bit of reading would indicate that same rate at hotels that will change your money with no waiting.

10% charge on USD well know...don't like it...get other currency (pay fees for that) or don't go.

internet...good opportunity to unplug and another reason research in advance is important.

bedding quality varies from casa to casa and hotel to hotel...no guarantees on that anywhere in the world. Ours was good...not great in some places.

hIred all guides myself and had a level of communication in advance that gave me confidence they would be good....also personal recommendations...all exceeded my expectations at reasonable costs and certainly were more than honest.

Scenery...well not the Alps or Lavender fields in France but it was beautiful in a very different way...but you have to have maybe a different perspective on this kind of beauty...that is individual and if you did not like the scenery fair enough...I found every minute something interesting and photo worthy

A bit off based to call your post "a public service" list....not really..but you are entitled to your opinion.
Old Feb 26th, 2017, 07:14 AM

pluto, would love to know more about the music you heard and liked, and good venues off the tourist path.

I think I did due diligence insofar as research before I left, including various books and talking to Cuban friends who had visited recently. I expected Cuba to be similar to budget travel in say, Mexico or Brazil. B&Bs/casas were not equal quality for the price though. I also did not expect casa owners would not really understand the qualities that do make a comfortable budget accommodation. Getting around is MUCH more expensive in Cuba, particularly private taxis within cities..I am accustomed to Cuban food as it is served in homes and restaurants in the US. I was not prepared for the lack of skill at many restaurants, as compared to modest places in other destinations, nor for the shortages of basic foodstuffs.

The responses to the OP that essentially say "I spent my way out of that problem." (more expensive hotel/restaurant/guide) come across as arrogant and really not dealing with the comments, nor with relating to Cubans.

btw, it should be "pretty well known" that swapping USD for some other currency does not always get you more CUC for the money. You have to do some math with exchange rates and fees.
A Stonegate Bank credit card may still be useful as a backup for US travelers in this mainly cash economy.

I reiterate that the principal reason to go is to meet Cubans, have discussions with them, and get an insight into their lives. So despite the discomforts and expense, I'm on my way back.
Old Feb 26th, 2017, 04:37 PM

I don't think it is arrogant to say I got out of problems (like beds) because I slpet in hotels, not cas's.
If you sleep in small b&b's in France you can have bad beds too.

Anyway. Did I mention like the others that Cubans are absolutely charming people ?
Old Feb 27th, 2017, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

SambaC
My most memorable music moments, not sure if these are well known
--the group upstairs at Paladar Nao with the older left handed guitarist, wonderful interaction among the group, great music
--(of all places) the overlook on the way to Vinales where the guy has the ox to take pictures of--a foursome with a female lead singer who looks to be 17 and has the stage presence and pipes of a young Bette Middler.
--The four old guys who play in the street downhill from Plaza Mejor in Trinidad
--The foursome that plays in Restaurant Sol y Son in Trinidad most nights--again, great female singer.

Then again, during a break at another restaurant, a young man comes up and starts fooling around with the guitar for a few minutes and then starts to sing, it's like, can anyone not sing here?
Our friends went to the Buena Vista Social Club show one night and loved it.
pluto
Old Feb 27th, 2017, 06:27 AM

What great recommendations, pluto! I'll be sure to check out the Havana and Vinales venues (at least) next month. Will let you know what else I may discover.
Old Feb 27th, 2017, 09:02 AM

Thanks for posting about your experiences folks. Cuba has not been high on my list of places to visit for a variety of reasons and this confirms my very high level assessment/research...
Old Feb 27th, 2017, 01:01 PM

Interesting article. Think about your position while in Cuba.
https://thewalrus.ca/on-tipping-in-cuba/
Old Apr 15th, 2017, 01:30 PM

I found this "article" to be highly biased. ...have been to this largest of Caribbean islands three times: the first was 1989 and the last just last month, 2017. To escape the humidity, go from late January until around mid April. As for food, I don't know where you ate. There's a Cuban (internet monthly magazine whose name escapes me. ...gives superb info. on a monthly basis: lists very good restaurants, rated as well. Obtain your casa particular via www.airbnb.com or www.Cuba-Junky.com. Most are reasonably priced.

Last month I stayed at Hostal Plaza Vieja 1910 which was a few feet from Plaza Vieja itself. ...very centrally located, clean and quiet, wonderful owners (Srs. Daniel & Xiomara) and other personnel; the son spoke fluent English. e-mail: [email protected]. I was booked for four nights but only spent two. Hope to stay there during future visits.

Lastly, to all future visitors-- I would not take what the originator of the post cited as being the norm.
Old Apr 16th, 2017, 08:35 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Is this the magazine you were talking about, Axiom?

https://www.havanainsider.com/about/

I agree that it's very informative and we found it useful albeit we tended to wander round and see what we could find that we liked the look of, or followed the recommendations of casa owners [which understandably tended to be that we should eat with them!]

As ever, the success or otherwise of a holiday depends a great deal on your expectations. If you want a 5 star hotel where everything works every time and slick service, then Cuba probably isn't for you. If you want perfect roads and brand new taxis with air con, ditto. If you are interested in seeing a little of the lives of the Cuban people, and prepared to swap luxury for new experiences, and are able to tolerate the absence of things which you normally take for granted, then Cuba is a great place to visit. Just do it with eyes open.
Old Apr 16th, 2017, 08:37 AM

To all future visitors-- after 2 recent visits, I WOULD take what the originator of the post cited as being the norm currently (except for #6 which seems silly, but I am not addicted to that stuff--lol) .

I tried more of the "rated" restaurants on this second trip, and had better, but still not great, meals. Stringy lamb (really mutton?), for example at one rated 5* on www.lahabana.com, and dry and stringy at one other. Fish with the blood line not removed. Stuff like that. But a couple of great sandwiches, one at a modest little hole-in-the-wall in Vieja, and another at Callejon de Hamel on rumba afternoon. And one reasonably decent salad with some salad vegetables, and actual lettuce leaves and not all cabbage.
The best meal was a Brazilian recipe I cooked for my casa hosts/friends with fresh local fish and shrimp from acquaintances (knowing people is important in Cuba), basic vegetables from the neighborhood outdoor market, and some canned coconut milk I brought in my luggage; they loved it--and the many family members who were in and out the next day sampled the leftovers, since I cooked for a small army.
Rooms may be a "reasonable" price, but are still not the comfort level you'd get for the money in Mexico or Brazil or many other places. Good mattresses (i.e. not the seemingly common Cuban one piece that the springs can be felt through, with dire consequences for one's back) seem to only be available to those with outside (Miami family, imported items from Mexico, foreign investors) money to invest and maybe help to ship. Most apartments in Havana Vieja are built around air shafts (the nature of construction in that densely inhabited neighborhood), and while that keeps them cool, most rented rooms in that neighborhood don't have windows to the outside. Plaza Vieja is full to bursting with foreign tourists and jiniteros and expensive bars. But rooms further into the residential neighborhood are in tighter quarters.
Old Apr 18th, 2017, 11:11 AM

Of course the "article" is biased! It is one person's opinion and I applaud the OP for being honest. Better to have varying opinions of destinations than everyone feeling as if they have to get on the love bus bandwagon.

I've not been to Cuba so my response has nothing to do with that island country; I think people are often hesitant to give negative comments for fear of being bashed. I found the post, and the comments that follow, very interesting.