Reload this Page >

Teenage girls getting hit on in DR

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2004, 07:00 AM
davsaz

We traveled to Beaches, Turks and Caicos last year and never had to worry about anyone trying to pick up my teenage daughters. It is truly a family resort. However, we are thinking about the Paradisus in Punta Cana, and now I am worried about having two teenage daughters walking around. Will they be safe?

Old May 16th, 2004, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm assuming you are serious...

As with any resort area that relies almost solely on tourism as the vast majority of its income, the DR does not tolerate harassment of any kind of ANY of its tourist base.

PC doesn't even have a town - it is a totally manufactured tourist destination with a beach lined with all-inclusives.

They'd have a hard time finding any kind of trouble to get into even if they were looking to.
Old May 16th, 2004, 01:20 PM
davsaz

I was serious. I felt very comfortable letting them walk around Beaches Resort by themselves...and they weren't wearing snow parkas. We're talking about teenage girls in bathing suits. Being from New Jersey, I have to admit that we are overly cautious people.

Old May 17th, 2004, 04:59 AM

SEcurity at Paradisus is very good that I saw. Always guards on the beach and walking throughout the resort property. In fact one afternoon there was a group of local teens walking the beach and you could tell that all the guards along the way were talking to each other because as the kids approached, the guards would just walk out into the open to make their presence known.
Lisa S
Old May 18th, 2004, 12:35 PM

I wish you could tell me something about Beaches T&C we are thinking of going with our 2 teenagers for winter break. They will be 15 and 18. Please tell me about it, the pros and cons and where to stay there. Is it worth the price also? Thanks davsaz I hope to hear from you soon.
Old May 18th, 2004, 03:42 PM

my first question is, do your daughters drink alcohol?
Old May 18th, 2004, 06:48 PM

My son will be 18 and my daughter will be 15
Old May 19th, 2004, 07:09 AM
davsaz

It's hard to say if Beaches will be a good choice for the 18 year old. Let me put it this way, if he is into daytime sporting activities (catamaran, kyakking, etc.) and is very tired at night, then it is good. The best thing my kids enjoyed (all three are teenagers) was the freedom to walk around to different restaurants to eat (namely, Bobby-D's, Arizona and the buffet). They loved the feedom of walking around. My one girl was tired at night and would stay in with my husband and I to watch TV (this was about 10:00 ish at night). Meanwhile, my other daughter and son would prowl around the Bobby D area eating, eating and eating. Then they would play some video games. The food was the big draw for the kids (by the way, my kids normally are very active, sports type kids who watch their diets at home). The oldest kid at the time (my son) was 16. I think he may be a bit too old this year, but my kids appreciate any vacation we take them on. It is too cost prohibitive to return to beaches...that's why I am checking out the Dominican Republic this year.

Old May 19th, 2004, 07:23 AM
davsaz

As far as I know, my daughters don't drink alcohol. They are way under the drinking age. Would they do it? Ha-ha.......I don't think that they would, but one never, ever knows.

Old May 19th, 2004, 07:25 AM

I'm not sure I understand why it would be too old for the 18 year old, if yo cold explain? Also, did you happen to check out any other resorts there that might be better to take teens to? I hear the ocean is spectaular and we had thought of going back to Caneel Bay but they are already booked for winter holiday.
Old May 19th, 2004, 07:35 AM

vkb2,

Guys, please don't take this the wrong way, but if you have been to Caneel, you are unlikely to like Beaches.

Places like Beaches and Sandals are popular with many people for many reasons, but the Beaches at TCI is almost always overrun with kids, and high season (according to what I've read) is crowded to the point of not getting beach chairs, waiting in line for activities, etc.

We stayed on Provo in late Oct.-early Nov., and Beaches had swarms of kids running around there when we walked by the resort several times.

Caneel and Beaches do not even begin to compare as far as the quality of the food, service and rooms. I would look at one of the other resorts or condos.

We stayed at The Sands and were very pleased, but Ocean Club, Royal West Indies, Coral Sands are all nice condos right on Grace Bay.

For Caneel-quality digs, I'd recommend Grace Bay Club.
Old May 19th, 2004, 07:44 AM

I called Grace Bay Club and they were booked plus she said they really have no teens there. Ocean Club has teens but just not sure what to do. They seem to be a very small property but she told me the meals at Beaches were marginal and since the area is so safe with 80 some restaurants in town it's easy to go out to eat and walk around the area. I just want to make sure that wherever we go my kids won't be bored and complaining to me. Quite frankly I couldn't beleive they love Caneel since it was relatively quiet with some teens but not loads. I think the idea of having the kyacks and snorkling at your disposal on 6 calms beaches must have been what appealed to them.
Old May 19th, 2004, 07:51 AM

Hmmm. I'll be honest. We loved Provo, but it is VERY quiet day and night.

We are huge beach people, so it does not matter to us, but I do think teens might be bored unless they want to do a lot of diving. (The diving is great, and the snorkeling is good - but limited.)

Ocean Club is not really a resort, and the dew sights there are are quite spread out over the island, so you'd have to ferry them around since they can't drive a rental.

There is not really a town to speak of - like Cruz Bay on St John - nor is there much for teens to do.

Are there any other islands you were thinking of?
Old May 19th, 2004, 07:53 AM

Anything that has great weather and warm water that's safe. I'm open to suggestions.
Old May 19th, 2004, 07:54 AM

Just wondering - why don't you think the other resorts would compare to Caneel
Old May 19th, 2004, 08:05 AM

I've been to Caneel, and I've been to several Beaches and Sandals resorts on different islands.

Caneel has an understated luxury and a service level that aren't found in many other Caribbean resorts - and most definitely not at any Sandals or Beaches.

Caneel has been in the top ranks of places to stay in the Caribbean for many years and deservedly so.

For a type of place with the same feeling as Caneel, I'd go with Little Dix Bay on Virgin Gorda, Biras Creek in the BVI's, Pink Sands on Harbour Islands in the Bahamas, or PSV in the Grenadines. (Petit St Vincent.)

Those places are all very nice without being wickedly expensive (about the same as Caneel), but are all pretty quiet and laid back.

For a stunning beach with a cool town for your teens to hang around, lots of young people and things to do and see without getting into trouble, I'd suggest Isla Mujeres on the Mexican Caribbean coast. Look at Hotel Secreto or Villa Rolandi there.
Old May 19th, 2004, 08:13 AM

Is that a safe area with clam waters. My husband hates Mexico. I don't know if you are a travel agent but my kids love South Seas Plantation on Captiva Island in Florida. If you've ever been there you know that it can be crazy with kids everywhere. We usually stay at Lands End while there which is quieter and nice condos. Part of me thinks my kids would love Beaches and my husband would detest it with all the commotion. This could be the last trip we take with my son since he will be getting ready for college. Who knows what will be in store for him once he's away. I just want all of us to have a wonderful time.
Old May 19th, 2004, 08:35 AM

Isla Mujeres is very safe, and Playa Norte has one of the calmest, shallowest beaches in the Caribbean.

Why does your husband hate Mexico? Where did he go that he didn't like? Most of it is very safe, clean, and with the peso to the dollar at such great rates, your dollar goes much further.

I do not think your teens (nor you) would like Beaches. Go on tripadvisor.com and read some of the posts. It is crowded with little kids, the food is subpar - well, don't take my word for it, go to

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...nd_Caicos.html

I'm not a TA - just been all over the Caribbean and Mexico. Beach collecting is my hobby
Old May 20th, 2004, 06:49 AM
davsaz

When are you planning on going? We were at Beaches in early November last year...and it wasn't that bad with little kids.

Even though I said that I thought it could be boring for an 18 year old, you hit a spot in my heart when you said this will be the last vacation before your son goes off to college. Our next vacation (November) will be the last we will have as an entire family before my son goes off as well.

I think you should go to Beaches (as long as it is not in the summer...when it is really crowded). It truly is beautiful, he can sneak into the disco at night if he wants....but most importantly, it is a WONDERFUL place for the family to really bond. I think it would be a great, great way to have one last fling with the whole family before college takes you apart.
We would go again this year, but the cost with air for a family of five is pretty prohibitive...and I haven't seen Beaches come out with their 35% off sale as of yet. That's why we are thinking of Punta Cana. I think it may have a few more activities...though I am worried about stomache problems.

Go to Beaches T&C, you will have a wonderful time.

Old May 20th, 2004, 08:04 AM

hi there, we stayed at the Paradisus 3 years ago and my daughter is blonde and was only 12 at the time and the pool boy tried to get her to go behind the bathroom with him. She was frightened. We did speak to him and explain her age. The only other thing was when the kids would take the tram back to the room alone which we only let them do 2x the driver never seemed to bring them right to the room he would leave them off at the end of the road. You really probably will have to keep an eye on them and they will need to use common sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -