Search

Taxis in St. Martin

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2007, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taxis in St. Martin

Are taxis in St Martin metered or do you negotiate with the driver beforehand? We are going there in May for just 3 days so don't want to rent a car. We will probably just spend one day in the main towns but the other 2 days in our resort on the french side.

Anything we should know about taxis in St Martin?

Thanks!
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 05:59 AM
iw

Taxis are metered. We have used Maria on the french side for our last 3 visits. She is very reliable. We have never had a problem with any driver,however.

Don't miss dining in Grand Case. The restaurants are wonderful!
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 06:00 AM

The taxi's are not metered and there is a set rate from point to point. You should ask the driver how much the fare is beforehand.

It is much more advisable to rent a car on St. Maarten as taxi's can get expensive, but if you really plan on going only to Phillipsburg and Marigot on one day and spending the rest of your time at your resort, then the idea of a taxi sounds like it might be more suitable. You may still end up spending more than you would on a rental car for one day, but you won't have to deal with the traffic, getting around on your own, etc.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 06:02 AM

iw, we must have been posting at the same time. By metered I thought the OP was referring to an actual meter in the vehicle, which I've never seen on St. Maarten, but yet....the rates are set by the taxi association and drivers will usually not stray from those set rates.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies! It's always good to have the most information before traveling someplace new.

Our biggest reason for not renting a car is just the pure hassle of driving. We really want to be pampered for these 3 days and not do ANY work!

By the way, who is Maria and how do we use her taxi service? Just ask the hotel and they'll know?
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 08:15 AM
iw

Statia: Oops...not metered, as in New York, but the drivers do have a set rate. You are right. I didn't use the term metered correctly. Thanks for the clarification.

As for requesting Maria, everyone at the hotels that we have stayed at on the french side seem to know her and how to contact her. As I stated earlier, we never had a problem with any driver that a hotel has called for us. Each hotel seems to have their favorites.

A funny side story about how we encountered Maria: It was our 1st trip to the caribbean and I thought I had it all planned out down to each restaurant. Well, Maria shows up to take us to the restaurant that I had researched and wanted to go to...She tried to talk us out of it...too expensive, not worth it she said. Boy, was she right. When she picked us up for the rest of the week, we said...take us to dinner and she picked the places and got us in with the host/hostess and picked us up on that trip, our trip a few years later and last year, as well. She knows her stuff and the restaurant people know her well and take very good care of you!