Taxi vs rental car in St Lucia

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 09:12 AM
Bill Allen

Taxi vs rental car in St Lucia

We are booked to go next week and stay a week at the Jalousie. Was debating on renting a car, hoping it would save money vs Taxis and being able to go to cheaper places to eat, buy groceries etc.<BR>thoughts?<BR>thx!

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 10:12 AM
Mary

Hi Bill: Tough question since they both got their pros and cons. The rental car would be cheaper but the taxi would by easier. I felt the taxis were very expensive – EVERYTIME we needed one. Cost was about the same if not more than what I would pay for one here in the states. It was always a per person rate, not a per car / van load, and I felt like we were always being taken advantage of. But I suppose it could vary. The more I think about it, the more I wish we have gotten a rental. Some people think the roads are in bad shape but I didn’t think they were that bad at all and I live in a state where they spend a great deal of $$$ on roads. Figuring out how to get somewhere and driving on the left side of the road would be my biggest concerns. I’d find a good map. Hope this helps.

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 10:29 AM
Bill Allen

thx. I sifted through the posts, and was surprised at how many people just raged against renting a car. Guess I might just get there and rent one for a few days as needed. <BR><BR>Are water taxis a viable option from the Hilton?

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 11:16 AM
Michelle

This is a good question and one we wrestled with when we recently stayed in St. Lucia. The most inexpensive Jeep rental we could find was $65/day. We spent far less on taxis than we would have spent on a Jeep rental, though they are not inexpensive. Our hotel (Ladera) was more than happy to arrange any transportation we needed. Have a wonderful time - we just got back and miss it already!

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 11:37 AM
Kim

We rented a taxi with 2 other couples for the whole day it was $35.00 per couple. We left our resort at about 9:00 am and did not return till about 6:30 pm. We asked for a driver with alot of knowledge of the island his name was Simon. He took us to some of the out of the way spots.

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 05:15 PM
Bill

anyone use water taxis from the Hilton?

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 04:00 AM
Kay

Hi Bill:<BR><BR>when my husband and I spent our honeymoon in St. Luica last summer. We rented a jeep from "Cool Breezes" for I think $65 a day. they came to Ladera and picked us up in it and took us to their office to fill out paper work and we were on our way. <BR><BR>We had heard horror stores aobut the roads too. Frankly we did not not think they were that bad. We have roads here in Dallas as bad as the roads there. Keep in mind that there are no side roadsides like here. The roads twist and turn alot. We were told to blow our horn before we wet around acorner so a person on the other side coming the other way would know we were there. Also you drive on the opposite side of the road from what you ar eused too. We even drove at night with no porblems. We loved the freedome it gave us to anywere anytime. But if you a are a nervous driver or afraid of hights I would do the taxi thing. <BR><BR>My husband did the driving so if you ahve more specific questions e-mail him at [email protected]<BR><BR>You will love the Hilton and be sure to go to "the Bang" on Wednesday for their dinner and floor show

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 04:11 AM
penny

Yes Jalousie has water taxis. A few years ago they were readily avaiable all the time near the beach. No problem!The roads are very windy and steep, we elected not to rent. Lots of taxis and tours arranged from the hotel.

Old Jul 1st, 2001, 07:14 PM
Roxanne Fox

Bill:<BR><BR>We recommend taxis. Not that expensive and jeep tours are reasonable. Meeting the local taxi drivers I think is part of the St Lucian experience. The last fellow we rode with showed us his grandaughters photos. He told us things about the island we would have never heard otherwise. We have been twice and will always return as it has become a second home to us.<BR>Have a great time! No matter what you decide!<BR><BR>The Fox