Search

Taxi or Rental Car?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2011, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taxi or Rental Car?

I will be honeymooning in Jamaica in June for about 12 days. I am arriving via MBJ and my first stop is on the South Coast for 3 days. Then for the next 8 nights I am about 10 minutes outside MoBay. I have found out that it is about a 75-90 minute drive from MBJ to my first stop, and then back again 3 days later. Is it better for me to taxi around and pay the money whenever I need to travel, or should I rent a car and avoid the possible high taxi prices, but have to pay for the car even if I don't go anywhere (and add that I don't know the country)? Thanks!
Old Apr 1st, 2011, 02:14 PM

I've only been to Jamaica once. There's no way I would drive in Montego Bay. Crazy traffic circles, lots of trucks. And, they drive on the 'wrong' side of the road for me.

It depends on your level of comfort, are you used to driving on the left in crazy traffic?

We took a shuttle from Montego Bay to Negril. Only cost US$20.00 a person for a ride close to 1 1/2 hours. Money well spent.
Old Apr 1st, 2011, 05:38 PM

I wouldn't drive in Jamaica. I think you'd be much better off with a taxi driver/ guide who knows his/her way around the country. As much as I love it there, the driving is a bit crazy!
Old Apr 2nd, 2011, 04:16 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Another vote for no way would I drive in Jamaica!!! First off it's on the "wrong" side of the road, drivers are nuts, roads are of varying conditions and quality. Take a taxi or hire a driver.
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 08:38 AM

Depends where you are from and what your experience of driving is. I've only been to Jamaica once and would definitely drive there, the roads are no way as bad as they are made out to be especially in comparison to other islands. The road from MBJ to Negril for instance is in very good condition and I was surprised since I read on here that the road conditions were bad. And it probably is in other areas or if there was heavy rainfall. Next time we plan to rent a car from MBJ.
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 07:08 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The main road from Montego Bay to Negril is recently and dramatically upgraded. It is an excellent stretch of road not necessarily reflecting conditions elsewhere.
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 10:25 AM

We did the South Coast tour on our last visit to Jamaica. Renting a car is NOT recommended - bad roads, confusing signs, etc. - such a waste of time if you want to enjoy your vacation.

In our case, we had an arranged tour with Alrick Allen. The tour was already planned ahead of time...the south coast tour includes YS falls, appleton rum tour, black river safari, pelican bar and some stops along the way. If you want you can contact Alrick regarding your trip - he's been our private tour guide/driver for several times (we rented a car on our first trip - that was the first and last ). Alrick has the best rate so far based on our experience, you can ask a quote from him first - http://yourjamaicantourguide.com/

Hope this helps.