Search

Talk to Me Cool Spot

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 05:01 PM
Claire

Talk to Me Cool Spot

Has anyone stayed here? We are having a very hard time finding reasonably priced accommodations for our family (2 adults and 2 children ages 7 and 3). We would like to spend no more than $100/night, and would like to stay near Soufriere. Any suggestions?<BR><BR>Thanks...Claire

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 01:15 AM
been there

It's quite a nice place. Good food - and the package rates are OK. Don't forget there's nearly 20% tax added to EVERYTHING. It's a walk away from the beach, and everything's quite steep though. Are you dead set on St Lucia? with children that age I would have thought the beach/activities was important, and for the budget you're looking at, Grenada would be a much better bet - no problem getting a great apt. hotel for that sort of money, and much, much better beaches. Nicer people too. Antigua would be another great choice.

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 05:11 AM
kevin

been there: any specific accomodations in Grenada you can recommend would be appreciated. I've looked at Blue Horizons, Flamboyant, Mariposa, & Coral Cove Cottages. <BR>Also, restaurant/activities?<BR>I plan to go for Thanksgiving with my wife and 7 & 9 year old boys.<BR>Thanks

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 05:47 AM
been there

Blue Horizons is a fantastic bet. Nice apartment suites (so you can self-cater if you want to, or even just to keep snacks and drinks cool), with masses of space for children as well. Plus you get free access to the watersports and beach at Spice Island Resort (sister property) which is otherwise $$$$$. The owner is very, very helpful - you may well be negotiate a better rate if you talk to them direct.<BR>Flamboyant is nice - but a very steep walk down to the beach, the same applies for Mariposa. For Morne Rouge, you might be better looking at Gem Resort (though I still think BH is a better bet). Eating is no problem, at the bottom of the road leading up to BH are two shopping centres. (less than 5 mins walk) The smaller (the Marquis) has a couple of great budget choices, Le Castle (good 'grill' type food) and the Boulangerie, which does fantastic pizzas and baguettes. The main shopping mall (which has a large supermarket) also has a food court. There's a fantastic range of local and international restaurants to choose from elsewhere on the island, and also the in-house restaurant. <BR>As for activites: swim in waterfalls, whale-watching, walk through the rainforest, relax on the beach; the list is endless. You'll find great suggestions at the grenada board: http://www.grenadaexplorer.com/cgi-b.../ikonboard.cgi <BR>It's an amazing island, mercifully not yet discovered by too many people. Enjoy!

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 08:44 AM
Mary

Claire: I think your children will be bored out of their skulls after two days in the Soufrierre area. Not much to do there. Personnally, I would never step foot again in that town. Too many beggars, nothing to see anyways, and I didn't feel totally safe - even in daylight with my husband! <BR><BR>The north part of the island offers a lot more activities for you and your children, and you can still get some scenery, but you really should stay there then. It's a long road trip back and forth and parts could be scary for the kids or even you (steep cliffs right off the road). It's not long because of distance but because of the ever-twisting roads. I would stay in the north and take a day trip / excursion to the Soufrierre area. One day is plenty. <BR><BR>Please research this area fully before choosing the Souffriere area. I'd hate for you to be disappointed.

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 08:47 AM
Mary

Just want to clarify that "nothing to see anyways" refers to the actual town of Soufrierre. There are a few things to do just outside of town. But you can pretty much see all of it in a day.

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 09:46 AM
blue eyes

Soufrierre is also right next to the volcano and it stinks of sulpher.<BR>We only spent a day down south, NEVER AGAIN!! The waterfall was stunning but that was all.The North is so much better much more to see and do.

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 10:40 AM
anon

The island is nice and there is a lot to see, but I wouldn't stay in soufrierre if the room was free. I would seriously think twice about staying there.