Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

T&C w/ toddler --- wanting to return w/o flies???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple of years ago (maybe less) I traveled to the T&C w/ my family. We stayed at The Sands at Grace Bay. Although I felt the accommodations were fine for us, I was sure that if I returned we'd stay at a different location.

I'm trying to decide on an alternative spot that would be the best 4 or 5 star choice that a toddler (3) might also enjoy. We're considering the Somerset and The Tuscany, and I am certainly open to other choices or suggestions. I know the beach will be great but we’d like to have a pool that our daughter could use as well. A shallow end would be great.

Here’s my bigger concern. During our first trip we loved the beaches, but we did come away from our trip a little "bugged”. We like to dine out and on at least three occasions we had several flies join us for dinner. Their presence really ruined our meals and soured us on the possibility of a return visit. Has anyone else had a similar experience? I’ve done some traveling throughout the islands and have never had a similar problem. Mosquitoes and noseeums, yes but never a large amount of flies at a nice restaurant. Can anyone help to address my concern? Was this just a bad week…should we never order beef?? I want to return, but I really enjoy a nice meal out. Hard to pay $200 for a dinner for 4 where you didn’t want to finish your meal.

Lastly, are there any good shopping spots? It seemed very limited.
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 05:24 PM

A lot of folks don't like AI resorts, we love them. Given that, Beaches in Provo would be my suggestion. They are so very kid friendly, in fact they are friendly to everyone of all ages. We've been there 6 times and I never recall having issues with flies or any other bug at the dinner table. I've certainly eaten my share of beef there (inside & outside). There are a couple pools there with shallow water for your toddler to play in. I believe shopping is still limited. Off to the side of the resort (on the beach) there are stands where locals sell their wares, but they don't hound you as you walk past. I don't know what kind of things you are looking to buy.
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 04:05 AM

WE HAVE STAYED AT MANY RESORTS ON GRACE BAY INCLUDING THE SANDS...WE NOW HAVE FALLEN IN LOVE WITH THE SOMERSET...PERFECT
LOCATION FOR WALKING TO OTHER RESORTS TO DINE ( TUSCANY IS AT THE EASTERN END OF GRACE BAY AND LIMITED WALKING IMO) THE POOL AT SOMERSET IS ZERO ENTRY AND WE HAVE WATCHED MANY YOUNG ONES LOVING THE POOL. REGARDING FLIES--WE HAVE NEVER HAD PROBLEM. SHOPPING -THERE IS MORE THAN A FEW YEARS AGO --REGENT VILLAGE NOW HAS MORE NEW SHOPS, THE GRACEWAY GOURMET IS OPEN AND WONDERFUL...
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

I must admit, I did take a look at the Beaches T&C. I was very surprised at the pricing (pretty expensive), and the 219 either "poor" or "terrible" reviews written on this Trip Advisor site gets me to shy away. I expect a few here and there, but that's a big number.

Thanks Caribzack. The Somerset is very appealing. The zero enrty pool is a HUGE plus, and the accomodations look amazing. Anyone with a toddler that has enjoyed a zero-entry pool will know how great it is for the parents too. I'll need to do some more research, but will start with The Somerset.

I'm still a little concerned with the shopping opportunities. We'll have my mom on the trip as well, and she can't spend that much time in the sun. Good shopping is a nice break from the Pool and beach. Any other suggestions there?
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 11:06 AM

We stayed at the regent palms with our 3 yo last year and loved it. We stayed in a one bedroom ocean view suite (we put a crib in the living room) which was very large, simply gorgeous and had every amenity we could ask for. the resort was definitely family friendly and the pool was gorgeous as well. She had floaties, so i can't quite remember if the pool had a low end or not, but the resort was perfect.