T&C GRACE BAY: How Windy in Janurary?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2004, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering if the beach at either the Villa Renaissance,T&C club would be very windy, so much so as to prevent one from enjoying the beach? I'm planning on a January arrival.

Alan
Old Nov 20th, 2004, 02:56 PM

I can't answer for January....but it was very windy in November. It made for comfortable beach weather (wasn't as hot), but the seas were very rough. It did not make for good swimming weather.
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 07:24 AM

Lizzie - Was it windy this November?
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 11:21 AM

Congratlations for knowing that the Caribbean is not what it looks like on the brochures during "Christmas Winds". Grace Bay is extraordinary and enjoyable and not nearly as windy as Aruba. You will not get stung. The weather is partly cloudy all day, some light rain but it depends on the year and el nino. Go early for sun and enjoy the rest of day relaxing. Most resorts have hobie cats and other activities for the "not so sunny" time. If you don't know how, learn. You'll be glad you did.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 03:53 AM

Carol3: Yes, this November. I just got back from a week on Grace Bay and it was windy every day. And yes, one day I got "stung" from the sand being pelted. On most days, the hobie cats could not be used, a few snorkeling excursions were cancelled, and the locals could not get fresh conch on one day. It was quite rough and difficult to get in the water (if you were brave enough to try). That being said, the beach was still quite enjoyable. Would go to beach mid-morning to mid-afternoon and then go sit by the pool. It seems from talking to the locals that during their winter they get quite a bit of wind. What I couldn't discern was whether the type of wind we experienced was typical or a bit unusual for November.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 05:18 AM

Everyone always says Aruba is so windy, but I have been to Aruba twice (March and November) and T & C once (April) and definitely T & C had more wind. Many days it was too windy to sit on the beach.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 07:39 AM

It was not in January, but we were on Provo in March 2 yrs ago and it was VERY windy the whole week. No swimming, snorkeling or for that matter even laying on the beach. Provo has very pretty beaches but when the weather does not cooperate, there's not a whole lot else to do unfortunately.
IMHO.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 09:20 AM

It's funny, because of all the research I did before booking this trip, I did not see anything really mentioned about the wind. It was the one thing that I wasn't really prepared for. That one day of "stinging" sand was rather unpleasant.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 11:47 AM

We leave in 2 weeks & this is the first I've heard about the wind & rough seas too. Anyone know what the temperatures are in early December with the wind? Do we need to bring light sweaters/pants for the nighttime?
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 11:56 AM
cdt

We were there last Dec. 6-14 and when we arrived, waves were bigger than usual because a tropical storm was passing not far to the east. The water gradually calmed down over the course of our visit. We had no significant wind.

I brought a light jacket and never wore it. Air temperatures were perfect and water temps. quite comfortable, although I would have preferred an extra degree or two (I like to swim in WARM water!). There were days when I spent a long time snorkeling, and I did not get cold.

Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 03:33 AM

When the clouds are passing over and the wind is blowing, it can be a little chilly on the beach. I did bring a couple of sweaters and found myself wearing them at night. There was at least one evening that my husband also went back to the room to put on a jacket. The water was a very pleasant temperature in Nov.....just wish I could have enjoyed it more.
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 03:40 AM

We were there first week in November, and it was windy, but not to the point that it bothered us. Hobie cats were in the water everyday and there wasn't a problem being on the beach.
Sandy