Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   T&C - Construction?! (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/t-and-c-construction-465238/)

Lizzie518 Aug 6th, 2004 10:28 AM

T&C - Construction?!

For any recent visitors: How distracting is the construction on the island (Provo)? I have heard several reports of ongoing construction and certainly wouldn't want it to ruin a vacation. I am thinking of going in November.....is there any particular location or property to stay away from? I have been looking into Royal West Indies. Does anybody have any other suggestions (no all-inclusives, please).

I just don't want the sound of a jackhammer to interfere with my relaxation. Thanks in advance.

IRabbit Aug 7th, 2004 06:32 AM

We stayed at Turks & Caicos club last month. I can't speak for the rest of the beach, as we only made it as far as Point Grace going toward the other resorts, but we had absolutely no problem with construction. In the other direction, there was construction near Smith's Point. We walked past those sites several times, and never heard anything especially loud.

IRabbit Aug 7th, 2004 08:09 AM

One other thing - I believe I read somewhere that T&C Club is offering half off rooms in November. You might want to look into that. I highly recommend T&C Club - we had a wonderful stay there.

KarenM Aug 7th, 2004 08:47 AM

IRabitt: How's the weather and water temp though in November? If the water is too cool, pretty much the reason for going is void. I remember reading awhile back that T&C Club offered 50% in November. I checked their website about a week ago and didn't see anything yet being offered.

The T&C Club looks like such a nice place to stay. Looks like the only negative might be that some say it's somewhat isolated from the rest of the resorts, which is an advantage in one way but not in if you spend too much time driving around.

Did you happen to be near the Grace Bay Club? I heard awhile back there was construction next door there. I guess they are adding capacity.

Lizzie518 Aug 9th, 2004 05:12 AM

Unfortunately, it appears that there may not be any availability at the T&C Club for my November dates.

Does anybody have any information on possible construction near Royal West Indies Resort? (Having never been there, I don't have any perspective on where things are in relation to one another. Other than the fact that RWI is next door to Club Med.) Thanks in advance.

Senga Aug 9th, 2004 05:57 AM

We stayed at RWI in June and there was no construction. We would highly recommend this resort and have pictures posted at http://community.webshots.com/user/sengamilne
My review follows:
Turks & Caicos
June 4 ? 11, 2004
Royal West Indies Resort

We absolutely loved Turks & Caicos and the Royal West Indies Resort. Since the resort is a nice size everything is close and the beach area, pools and landscaping are beautiful. I think RWI has the nicest section of beach, the most beautiful pool/landscaping and the most comfortable beach lounge chairs. Guests had the use of two Hobies, water noodles, shovels/pails and bicycles. The noise from Club Med, which is right next door, was not an issue. We requested a ground-floor studio unit close to the pool and unit #313 fit the bill perfectly. It was steps away from both pools and had a secluded cactus garden patio. We had a full size fridge, small sink (dish liquid supplied) a microwave, toaster, coffee maker (coffee was included) and a washer and dryer (soap provided). The bougainvillea bouquets throughout the unit were a nice welcoming touch. RWI has a shuttle, which goes to the grocery store twice daily, at a cost of $20. for 1 or 2 guests. There was a very nice Manager?s welcome party on the Monday evening which included punch/rum punch, conch and jerk wings. Another nice touch is the complimentary internet access in the front lobby. We were amazed at the range of television stations available; we got our Toronto CFTO news.

After researching on the internet we took canned tuna, crackers, margarine, cheese slices, bagels, breakfast pitas, peanut butter, Miracle Whip, salt/pepper, granola bars and snacks with us. Our plan was to eat breakfast and lunch in our unit. However, we found the lunch prices to be about one third the cost of dinner so we enjoyed breakfast on our patio, had a drink and granola bar around 11:30 then ate a full meal at the Mango Reef between 2:30-3:00. We ended the day with a lunch item (i.e. bagel with cheese, tuna sandwich) around 8:30. We bought wonderful fresh baked bread ($2.49), orange juice ($4.85), ice cream ($5.99), water ($1.29) bananas (.77), cheese ($3.45) and Diet Coke ($9.99/24) at the IGA and we didn?t find the prices bad. We ate three dinners (average $75 for two entrees, one dessert, no alcohol/appetizers) and four lunches (average $25) at the Mango Reef, one lunch at Bugaloos ($14) (car required), dinner one night at Coco Bistro ($76.68) (a five minute walk) and one breakfast at Gilley?s at Leeward Marina (car required). All meals at Mango Reef were excellent. I had the 16 oz. Jamaican Jerk Porterhouse Chop ($24) and the filet mignon for dinner; Willie had the Caribbean Combo of steak, jerk chicken and grouper ($24) and the King Crab. We shared, and really enjoyed, the pina colada bread pudding ($9). We ordered the pizza on Tuesday night (second at half price $22 total) and we really enjoyed them. The mango cream salad dressing is amazing. Alexis was a wonderful waitress, a delightful girl, and offered us suggestions on sightseeing. Since my husband is a great fan of conch (he ordered the conch sandwich EVERY SINGLE DAY) Alexis suggested we try Bugaloos roadside conch stand in Blue Hills on the day we rented a car. Willie had the cracked conch and said it was the best he had ever tasted. Since I am a North American Princess (and I do not eat seafood) I stuck with a safe can of Diet Coke! My husband thoroughly enjoyed his shrimp dish at Coco Bistro but my meal was less than satisfactory; watery French Onion soup and a very greasy rib-eye steak. I was looking forward to the crème brulee but since I did not enjoy anything except the potato and vegetable I decided to skip another disappointment. You know you are in trouble when they hand you each your own can of OFF when you enter, the mosquitoes were terrible! We had a wonderful full breakfast at Gilley?s for $5.95. We knew it would be good as most of the customers were locals.

If you ever rent a car, make sure it is a 4-wheel drive (or better yet a HUMMER); there are potholes big enough to swallow a small car. We rented from Provo Fun Cycles & Autos in Ports of Call and I would not recommend them nor use them again. If the price seems too low, there has to be a reason. There were 73,186 km on the car, the horn did not work, the car was pretty bashed up and the tires were bald. We were terrified the thing was going to leave us stranded somewhere. Cost for the car was $45. plus a $15. government fee and $10 gas and after 5 hours we had only put 70km on the car. Even with a map it is difficult to find the tourist spots, as there are no signs anywhere and lots of road construction.

It was a very relaxing holiday, one we will definitely repeat, and we were more than pleased with our choice of R.W.I. Next time we will definitely take OFF bug spray (remember, aerosol cans are prohibited on the plane) and after-bite and we will use a taxi to find Sapodilla Bay instead of renting a car.

hockeymom02 Aug 9th, 2004 08:21 AM

IRabbit:

We are going to be staying at the Turks and Caicos club the first week in September. Any advice on restaurants or in general about the club? Did you need insect repelant?

island_breeze Aug 9th, 2004 09:56 AM

Hey hockey mom
You will love T&C for the restruants. We loved Coco Bisto, for the unique dining experience, the best mussels and pina coloda I've ever had, we could have dined there more than once, they were not afraid to use flavor. We also enjoyed the Coyaba and Beach Cafe at Coral Gardens where we stayed. Tiki Hut for casual dockside dining had the best tender ribs I've ever eaten and inexpensive. Enjoy T&C.

IRabbit Aug 10th, 2004 03:59 AM

The people who work at the restaurant at T&C Club told us that November is a nice month, but they did not mention water temp.

We did not see Grace Bay Club. My husband cut his foot, so we didn't do as much beach walking as usual.

IRabbit Aug 10th, 2004 04:03 AM

The restaurants we visited in July were Simba (at T&C Club), Magnolias, Hemingways, and another whose name escapes me at the moment. I'll have to dig up that info because the place was great - name ends in Cafe, at any rate. Excellent grilled seafood.

We ate most meals at Simba, actually. We were a large group and appreciated the convenience. The food was very good and the staff quite accomodating. We had lunch twice at the Coral Gardens next door, it was excellent one day and so so the next, but the staff were so pleasant and the view so pretty it almost did not matter.

Hemingways at the Sands is a very pretty location for lunch or dinner. Oh, and we also enjoyed Danny Buoys for pub food.

Magnolias was probably everyone's favorite. This is a lovely place overlooking the harbour; we highly recommend this one.

As for what we ate, it was usually seafood. I had grouper at least three times, as it is one of my favorites. Try the conch pizza at Simba if you like seafood and curry. Unusual, and very good.

Lizzie518 Aug 12th, 2004 11:44 AM

Thanks Senga for the trip report/pictures and for all others on the restaurant choices.

Since it appears that a lot of the T&C resorts are condo-styled hotels, I was wondering a bit about the service. For example, can you get drink/food service at the beach at the RWI (T&C Club and Coral Gardens both appear to booked for my dates in Nov.)? I am looking for a little pampering and relaxation and do not plan to eat or cook meals in the room. Just wondering. Thanks is advance.