COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

T&C car rental

Old Dec 19th, 2004, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

T&C car rental

It was mentioned that it might be a good idea to rent a car while vacationing in Turks and Caicos. I read somewhere that some of the companies are horrible. Any recommendations on who we should rent a car through while there?
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 05:53 AM

have rented twice on provo. first scooter bobs. the jeep had bad wipers and it rained. they exchanged it with no problems. second time from provo fun cycles. no problems. scooter is at turtle cove marina and pfc is in ports o call. i have not seem bad stuff about the companies, but be aware the roads are not great. lots of pot holes to avoid. driving on the left. that said depending on length of stay DO rent for at least part of your stay. you need a 4x4 only if going to malcom beach (tiki huts).
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 12:37 PM

Provo Fun Cycle has always done well for me. I have been to the Provo at least six times and always used them. Be sure to visit "the hole" not far from the conch farm. Just becareful if you attempt to go to the Tiki huts as there has been incidents of people getting robbed. Always be alert in any foriegn land.
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 08:00 AM

We used Avis out by the airport, very friendly and car in good condition. We found that we could get by without a car for most of our visit. Mainly used it for going to the IGA food store, shopping and going out to eat. The roads are full of pot holes, roads unmarked and no scenic drives to enjoy.
We loved Coral Gardens and the many fantastic restruants on Provo.
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 09:41 AM
cdt

"No scenic drives to enjoy" is debatable, although certainly the island lacks the beauty of the US or British Virgins, Jamaica, St. Lucia etc.

We enjoyed the trip to Malcolm's Road Beach and especially liked the Blue Hills area en route (location of "conch shacks."). The Sapodilla Bay/Chalk Sound area is also interesting, and a good choice when there's a strong wind from the north.

Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 03:50 AM

We went to T& C last year and found out that we really didn't need our rental car. You might want to rent one for one or two days, so you can see some of the Island, but other than that you won't need it. Plus they can be VERY expensive & the roads are really bad,plus driving on the left hand side of the road can be tricky. Grace Bay Beach is one of the most beautiful beaches I have EVER seen. We loved it there. Plus it wasn't real crowded. Have a great time!!!
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 11:31 AM

My definition of a scenic drive does not include my husband driving like a Formula One driver dodging pot holes.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Provo for other reasons, every island has it's strong and weak points.
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 05:09 PM

I've used Avis on Provo, no issues. We've had anywhere from reg cars to vans. I agree with cdt, on debatable scenic drives...yes Malcom's road beach (Tiki huts) is a great diversion....for that we use Mike's jeep at Turtle Cove...you do need 4wd drive. But for the most part you absolutely do not need 4wd on Provo, unless you find some other great areas do post! Happy travels and happy holidays to all!