Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   T&C - Car, Cab or Pedal? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/t-and-c-car-cab-or-pedal-498718/)

Lola625 Jan 26th, 2005 02:49 PM

T&C - Car, Cab or Pedal?

Will be traveling to Provo during the first week of March - first trip. Wondering if it's worth the expense to rent a car, or if it would be better to just take cabs or rent bikes. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

AnneSm Jan 26th, 2005 03:12 PM

I would rent a car or take cabs (but cabs can be expensive as they charge "per person.) Definitely don't ride bikes. The drivers are reckless (especially the water trucks) and it's just not safe with all the potholes (however they have improved the roads.)

Lizzie518 Jan 27th, 2005 04:11 AM

I guess it depends on what you would like to do.....if you are planning to explore the island, then I would rent a car. If you just want to relax on the beach and go out to dinner, then you would be fine taking a cab (which is what we did). All of the cabs we took were metered, and not one of them charged "per person". The prices were comparable to other islands we've been to. For us, taking cabs turned out to be cheaper than renting a car based on our level of activity.

We were there in November and the roads seemed fine.

cdt Jan 27th, 2005 05:09 AM

I always rent cars in the Caribbean but I found less reason to have one on Provo than on most islands.

You will need a 4WD if you want to visit Malcolm's Road Beach (small 4WD is best). A car is helpful if visiting the conch farm, Sapodilla Bay, or Chalk Sound, but there are tours that include those areas.

(Actually, I think there are boat trips that stop at Malcolm's).

For travel around the main tourist area (Grace Bay, restaurants, stores, etc.) it would be cheaper to use a combination of taxis, shuttles or bikes that some places provide, and walking.

We rented a car for 5 of 8 days. We only took a taxi once and it did not charge per person ($14 from Ocean Club West to Smith's Reef).

Lola625 Jan 29th, 2005 12:28 PM

Thanks all. Are the rental cars manual or automatic transmission, or are either available?

cdt Jan 29th, 2005 03:16 PM

Rentals may be standard, automatic, right-hand drive, left-hand drive, manuals in English or Japanese!

TG Jan 30th, 2005 04:54 AM

We've been to Provo twice. On our last visit we stayed at The Sands where they have bikes for guests to use. I used a bike twice to go to the liquor store, no cost plus I went at my convenience.
During our 1st trip we did rent a car for a couple of days - came in handy.
Frankly, we just enjoyed relaxing at The Sands.

dcronin5000 Jan 31st, 2005 05:01 PM

Forget the car. Fork over cash for cabs. Peace of mind.

It's not nearly as expensive as everyone says.

Stay at the Royal West Indies. Go to grocery store - stock up on beer and mixed drink stuff and breakfast food.

Eat lunch at Mango Reef. Dinner elsewhere.

dc