Swept Away or Grand Lido Sans Souci?

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 07:11 AM
Leda Kessel

Swept Away or Grand Lido Sans Souci?

Hello:

We plan to get married in Jamaica in September. Which resort would you recommend (or maybe another)? We're a mid-twenties couple who are in search of a relaxing yet fun atmosphere. Has anyone seen or heard of the wedding services at either? We're not really into Au Natural...

Thanks!

Leda

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 07:46 AM
Dave

We were in GLSS in Jan 2000. It was relaxing and fun, the beach was very nice. The nude beach was around the bend, and not visible or bothersome if you didn't want it. The food was good, and there was noisy night life, dancing and show till late. We saw people getting married near the beach. As it is partly on a hill, there may be walking up and down stairs. Be sure to sign up right away for the massages. Consider taking the plane to GLSS, rather than the bus.

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 12:15 PM
Leda

So, how is Swept Away in comparison? Is Sans Souci a young atmosphere? Also, are the rooms/suites beachfront at Sans Souci (or are they on a hill?)

Leda

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 07:38 AM
Dave

We weren't at Swept Away.

If you go to http://www.super-clubs.com/Sslido.html you can see that some rooms are on the beach, some on the left are on a hill. (Which is not really a problem.)

I think that most people were 20-40.

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 09:06 AM
Leda

Thanks for your help Dave!

Has anyone been to Swept Away? Seen any weddings at either resort?

Thanks!

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 05:43 PM
traveler

We were at San Souci. It is a pretty resort but yes some of the rooms are up a big hill with lots of stairs. Ask for the beach front jacuzzi suites, fantastic!!
Not a livley crowd at the time we were there. A very quiet relaxed resort, we are not into the night life but this resort was even a little too quiet for us early 40's couple.

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 07:44 AM
Anonymous

I wouldn't recommend SweptAway because one of their staff sexually assaulted a guest from another resort. The staff at SweptAway handled the situation very poorly. If you stay at SweptAway, be sure to keep your guard up all the times.

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 06:54 PM
June

There is very little night life at Swept Away. I was bored at night.

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 07:02 AM
Leda

Great! Thanks everyone! Uhm, we're not really looking for night life - we like hitting the hay early and getting up early. We do love shows but are not into discos.
Leda

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 11:48 AM
h2couple

My husband and I were married at San Souci in 1997. It was beautiful, and the staff could not have been more helpful.

I would recommend that you either have family/friends go with you to share the moment or make friends while there. (which could be hard to do, we had a hard time getting people involved in our day, nobody seemed to want to be bothered)

Now as we look back on the photos (which are very $$$ they were not included) We wish we had known our witnesses. The hotel uses the wedding coordinator as the maid of honor and one of the entertainment coordinators as the best man (ours had a major hangover) That part was a bummer. Since they do so many weddings each day (every hour and a half from 10 to 6) the coordinator was not very interested in our event and it showed in the pics.

They provide the bride a ride to the Wedding Pavillion, and the flowers were very nice. The wedding takes place overlooking the ocean, there is a nice breeze there to help with the humid conditions of Jamaica. A small cake is included and some very bad champagne, music was by guitar and the Minister was very.

The resort was very quiet (August) there was only a band one nite. The food was good, but not plentiful, they ran out most nights. It is a very hilly resort and if you are in the towers it's a hike to the beach.

Check out Dunns River Falls for a day, but take your own water/sport shoes.

If you have any other questions let us know. Good Luck and Best Wishes...

Beth

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 12:47 PM
Leda

Hi Beth:

Well, it sounds like Sans Souci did not provide the wedding you first envisioned but I'm sure it was beautiful nonetheless. Well, our parents and brothers are coming - that's why we chose Jamaica (they can go down for 4 days). I am interested primarily in Swept Away. I just recived their package in the mail and it looks gorgeous. I'm just worried about the sports complex and renovations (heard through the grapevine). Well! I guess it's one of those things that you just go with - nothing can be perfect - and that goes for traditional weddings too!!
Thanks and take care
Leda

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 06:40 AM
Jenny

Leda,

It sounds like from what you are saying that the Grand Lido would be an excellent choice for you. I've seen some very beautiful weddings there, and it is a very nice resort.

I would stay away from Swept-Away for safety reasons at this time.

Have fun whereever you go and good luck with your wedding.

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 09:35 AM
Dave

Leda- We are going down to Swept Away in two weeks for a friends wedding. I will be happy to let you know first hand how it was! Everything we hear so far has been great, with the exception of one incident. I will know in a matter of days!

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 09:35 AM
Dave

Leda- We are going down to Swept Away in two weeks for a friends wedding. I will be happy to let you know first hand how it was! Everything we hear so far has been great, with the exception of one incident. I will know in a matter of days!

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 11:45 AM
Nancy

Don't know if you are still checking responses, but I honeymooned at Swept Away in November of 1994, and except for Hurricane Gordon, it was just perfect. The rooms are open air and gorgeous, with a HUGE private porch or patio. You can eat and drink 24/7 and the selections are fabulous. I had foods I had never heard of and it was all tasty. A gorgeous setting with a beautiful beach - I HIGHLY recommend it! There was plenty of things to do at night while we were there - so we were able to pick and choose. Enjoy!