Reload this Page >

Surprise Trip to Caribbean - but where?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 04:32 AM
Michael

I am trying to plan a surprise trip to the caribeean in December for my girlfriend, and trying to find the best place to go. Below is a list of our likes, dislikes - based on these, does anyone have any recommendations of where to go (or not go)?<BR><BR>LIKE: <BR>- Watersports (especially small sailboat or motorboat rentals)<BR>- Swimming; long sandy beaches (we loved Bermida, the only place we have been in caribbean)<BR>- Spa services<BR>- Quiet, romantic<BR>- resort or small hotels (possibly chains)<BR>- Walking<BR>- Great cuisine<BR><BR>DISLIKE:<BR>- Golf<BR>- Nightclub, bar-hopping<BR>- Bed and Breakfasts<BR>- Shopping<BR><BR>THANKS FOR EVERYONE's HELP!!<BR><BR>

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 06:36 AM
Nancy

I would suggest:<BR><BR>St. John<BR>Anguilla<BR>Mayan Riviera - Akumal, Tankah<BR><BR>fyi - Bermuda is not in the Caribbean...<BR>Have fun!

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 06:47 AM
Howard

Suggest Providenciales in the Turks and Caicos. Beach has been consistently ranked #1 in the Caribbean by Conde Nast traveler and Caribbean Travel and Life. Excellent places to stay and great restaurants. Anguilla is also very nice. E-mail me for more detailed info

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 07:04 AM
Cecile

Super Clubs Grand Lido Sans Souci was ranked no. 1 all inclusive in Jamaica--and has won awards. Pampering service and great spa. You can now fly into Ochos Rios on Air Jamaica Express. <BR>The Eden Rock Hotel in St. Barts is one of the most romantic places in the Caribbean according to Caribbean Travel & Life Magazine.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 07:25 AM
Melissa

Punta Cana at the Uvero Alto (they recently changed thier name, and I can't remember what too, but a good TA should know)

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 08:04 AM
d

Michael<BR><BR>Try the Morningstar part of the Marriott on STT or the Ritz...both have all that you want. The Hyatts in PR are also nice, but have a big more buzz about them...

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 08:24 AM
x

Turks and Caicos is a great suggestion.<BR><BR>Not as picturesque as Bermuda, but much nicer beaches. The top-end resorts and hotels offer spa services and there are plenty of dining options.<BR><BR>The resorts can even organize a day for you where they drop you off on a deserted island with a chairs and a picnic basket. That's about as quiet and romantic as you can get.<BR><BR>Look into Coral Gardens, Point Grace, and Ocean Club for starters.<BR><BR>Weather should be awesome in December. Have fun!

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 08:26 AM
Susan

Bermuda has all you want except Bed & Breakfast.<BR><BR>They have wonderful beaches and beautiful resorts.<BR><BR>Have fun!

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 08:39 AM
xx

Bermuda will be too cold in December. St John is an option - will have great swimming/snorkeling and nice beaches, though not sure you can rent a small sail/motor boat. Certainly is quiet and romantic. People are also very nice, which seems like something you are looking for. Not sure about resorts/hotels there.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 09:02 AM
kt

I recommend St. Johns USVI or Virgin Gorda BVI.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 09:07 AM
Theresa

I agree with the St. John and Virgin Gorda suggestions - been to both and liked them.<BR><BR>Based on your likes, when you have travel time, you should also consider taking your girlfriend to Moorea or Bora Bora. December is low season and the quiet romantic over the water villas are perfect. The water looks like an aquarium. We did water sports and jet ski tours, etc.<BR><BR>Theresa<BR>

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 09:38 AM
xxxxx

The ocean at Punta Cana Uverto Alto has rough waters but a spectacular pool, in your case I would not recommend it --and it is not small.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 09:47 AM
Susan

Ooops...I have Bermuda on my mind! I meant to say Aruba!<BR><BR>It has all you are looking for...long beaches, great cuisine, lots of walking, beautiful resorts, hidden coves on the north side where you can take a picnic with just the two of you, also spa services near baby beach that is outside!<BR><BR>Have fun.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 09:48 AM
Laura

Anywhere in St. Barts--they also have villas to rent--look into WIMCO--in Google just type out "WIMCO" and select St. Barts--villas are beautiful with unbeleivable views!

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 09:54 AM
CHeryl

I think Grand Cayman fits what you want perfectly. I like staying in condo there on the northern part of Seven Mile Beach, however for what you are looking for (resort, spa) I would highly recommend the Westin ... it's the nicest resort in Grand Cayman on a beautiful stretch of beach. The beach in Grand Cayman is like walking on powder and the water is pristine. It's tops for water activities such as snorkeling and diving. You can also rent other water sport equipment right at the beach at the Westin. There is an excellent selection of restaurants, however not much nightlife.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 12:42 PM
Natasha

There's a special at The Manapany Cottages--luxury property in St. Barts. The "Escapade" Special is good until December 12 includes car rental. Couldn't get much more romantic than this property--see traveler's reviews in Where2Stay.com. Website is "lemanapany.com". Get information on St. Barts and activities/services just by typing out "St. Barts Online" in Google.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 12:55 PM
Natasha

Other info on St. Barts--go into Google and type out "frenchcaribbean" and click on St. Barts.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 05:56 PM
jennifer

the Cayman Islands or Barbados.. hands down.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 04:01 AM
Margo

Hotel Villa Del Sol is an upscale property on Playa La Ropa Beach in Zihuatenejo Mexico near Ixtapa. Pampering service--very good cuisine and definitely romantic. Type oot "Hotel Villa Del Sol, Zihuatenejo" to get information. Their ads often appear in Travel and Leisure if you read that magazine.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 02:50 PM
connie

i've been to three places listed here... hotel villa del sol (wonderful hotel, so so beach), provo,tci (grace bay club is a must there)...our personal favorite, and st. john, the food there was incred., the beaches great too. you can't go wrong with the latter two. connie