Surprise Birthday Trip! Need Advice!

May 28th, 2002, 08:37 PM
mary

Surprise Birthday Trip! Need Advice!

I am thinking of planning a totally surprise birthday trip for my hubby. Looking to go in late December for 5 nights/6 days. Will be flying from Chicago (so dont want to go too far given we only have 5 nights due to work constraints).

Im looking for the most luxurious vacation resort/destination (and will thus do a garden room...) and have around up to $450/night to pay for the room only......So far our fav. places have been ANguilla and St. Barts. Hubby loves good beaches, and good food.....

Any ideas out there? Given its the high season places are SO much more (we usually go in mid april,but to awsome places we'd never go to in Dec for example) so this trip will be a big surprise! Need suggestions on good resorts....

Also, has anyone ever planned a surprise trip like this? How does one do this if they are a busy working executive, just surprise them the day before and hope they can cancel whatever meetings they may have set up? ....any ideas on this front?

Thanks!

May 29th, 2002, 12:56 AM
tivertonhouse

Christmas/New Year's weeks will be tough to find anywhere at US$450 at the calibre you want since premium surcharges and/or minimum one or two week stays are often in place. For easy access, short stay, good food/beach,try MAROMA in the Yucatan--decidedly NOT part of Cancun. HORNED DORSET PRIMAVERA in Rincon, PR,GOLDENEYE, Orcabessa,Jamaica,LAS ALAMANDAS, 1 hour south of P.Vallarta on West Coast,Mexico,some of the new upscale boutique inn/resorts on CULEBRA and VIEQUES islands off PR,the new LA BANANE on St.BARTS. Get your husband's PA/secretary in on the deal with a reward for her manipulations--or the HR department--to free up the scheduling time.

May 29th, 2002, 05:49 AM
Jennifer

Mary,

What about LaLuna in Grenada? This resort is absolutely fabulous! It is brand new, very beautiful and very private. At that time of year, rooms are running about $480 a night. Let me know if you need details about the resort.

May 29th, 2002, 06:04 AM
Trish

Have you thought about GC? Easy to get to from Chicago. Beautiful beaches. I would opt to do a condo or villa rather than a hotel. This island has the best food we've ever eaten.
I've had co-workers who have surprised their spouses by going to their manager who helped clear their schedules and it's worked well.

May 29th, 2002, 08:51 AM
Susan

Mary-
I also am going to surprise my husband for his birthday, but since I couldn't keep a secret, I told him I would be taking him somewhere, but he won't find out until his birthday!

He will be turning 40 and I will give him the itinerary at his surprise birthday party.

I had to tell him of a date because he also is a business owner and can't leave on the spur of the moment. If you tell him that you want to surprise him, and he needs time off, he will not know where.

I was thinking St. John or Bermuda. I'd love to go to Grand Cayman Island, but the Ritz won't be opened until next year. Also Aruba is a wonderful place to visit as well.

LOL

May 29th, 2002, 09:32 AM
Harold

You can't go wrong with St. John.
My wife and I fell in love with this
place. You can either go to Caneel Bay
Resort. Lovely but extremely expensive.
We rented a villa and so glad we did.
Privacy, romantic. You can also hire
a chef to come in and cook.

Gorgeous beaches!!!

May 29th, 2002, 09:46 AM
Margo

Tell your hubby you're taking him on a surprise trip and its just that a surprise--he'll find out the day you're leaving!
Hotel Guanahani in St. Barts is on an expansive beautiful beach with cottages--dont know current rates--just won an award for their service. There's also Francois Plantation with the great view from their Infinity Pool.
Sandals Antigua is quiet at the end of the year--we have been there twice in early December--usually there are discounts during that time of year. There's a terrific spa on the premises and lots of pools--take your choice. Sandals often upgrades your room during the slow season so take the lowest category (no guarantee on that).
We have stayed at the Esmeralda Resort in St. Martin (french) at gorgeous Orient Beach-- large cottage like rooms with individual pools per 3 units as well as kitchenette--restaurant on premises--very good. Car is necessary in St. Martin to drive to those excellent restaurants in Marigot or Grand Case.
We have stayed at the luxury resort Super Clubs Grand Lido Braco several years ago situated at Runaway Bay-40 mins. from Montego--modeled after a jamaican village. The beach was really nice and very long for those nice walks. Super Clubs Grand Lido Sans Souci Jamaica is known for their pampering treatment and a fabulous spa. Setting is very romantic.
The Ritz Carlton St. Thomas is a very nice hotel that I have only read about.

May 29th, 2002, 10:27 AM
Margo

My daughter (30) has her bachelorette party at the Starwood luxury resort Sheraton Hacienda Del Mar in Cabo San Lucas Mexico (actually Cabo Del Sol). She said it was fantastic--hacienda style buildings with winding roads, fountains and little plazas with cafes--very romantic. Great spa, beautiful beach and good swimming. Expensive but definitely worth it. She lives in Manhattan so flying was not an issue--Continental Airlnes arrives at 12 Noon in Los Cabos from the East Coast.

May 29th, 2002, 01:09 PM
Jacqueline

I loved Cabo San Lucas but after going
to St. John last year, I would opt
for St. John instead. The most
gorgeous beaches and fabulous villas.
More pictuersque. It's verh lush and the color of the ocean is "azure". A jewel of an island.

After the month of May, Cabo San Lucas is unbearably hot/humid. Resorts there
are gorgeous but we loved St. John.
Check out USVIonline.com

May 29th, 2002, 01:52 PM
Tracy

Have you thought about contacting someone at his office to arrange for his time off? I called my husbands boss and requested vacation time and gave him dates so he could assign projects and schedule meetings accordingly. Your husband may have a hard time relaxing if he feels like he left his workplace in a flux.

May 29th, 2002, 02:29 PM
Mary

Frangipani in Anguilla may be just what you're looking for. Check out www. frangipani.ai -- it's on the best beach in Anguilla (over a mile of FABULOUS white sand); beautiful suites (only 8 so it's quite intimate); Anguilla has 70-80 of the best restaurants in the Caribbean. Also Anguilla is not very far from San Juan so travel shouldn't be a huge issue. (I would otherwise say Cap Juluca but I don't think you can stay there for that price in December.)

May 31st, 2002, 07:18 AM
Nadine

Just read an article in Caribbean Travel & Life Magazine on the most romantic places in the Caribbean and the Eden Rock in St. Barts was one of the choices.