Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   SuperClubs vs. Sandals - Jamaica (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/superclubs-vs-sandals-jamaica-29308/)

Kate Jul 24th, 1998 12:52 PM

SuperClubs vs. Sandals - Jamaica

My boyfriend and I are looking at a week long vacation in Jamaica. We were leaning towards Sandals and then my travel agent said we should really go to SuperClubs instead. She said they are a step up from Sandals and less expensive? <BR> <BR>Has anyone been to both? Favorite locations? <BR> <BR>Thanks <BR> <BR>Kate

denise Jul 24th, 1998 07:35 PM

I can tell you that the Grand Lido in Negril beats Sandals Negril hands down. Better location, beaches, villas are ON the beach....food too fabulous for words. My husband and I went in May and cannot say enough about it. <BR>

Cassie Jul 25th, 1998 04:12 PM

How old are you and what do you want to do? Sandals will be all couples, where Superclubs will have adults, both singles and couples. Grand Lido is really upscale if that is what you want. If you are younger and want really laid-back casual, I'd do Hedonism or Sandals Negril. Stay away from Sandals Montego Bay - it's a lovely resort but sits right at the end of the airport runway, and the jets fly by REAL LOW all day long [though not at night]. I have stayed at both and think they are quite comparable with the exception of the Lido class Superclubs, which are supposed to be a step up [but are more expensive accordingly]. I think the bigger question is do you want to be in a place limited to couples [emphasis on romance] or do you want to be in a more active freewheeling place. If you are interested in nude beaches, then you must choose Negril. I probably prefer Superclubs personally - especially Hedonism, but I am back to traveling alone again, which cuts out the Sandals.

Sienna Jul 27th, 1998 09:11 AM

SuperClubs "Lido" resorts are more upscale than Sandals, but MORE expensive. The "non-Lido" SuperClubs resorts are LESS expensive, but more LOW-SCALE than Sandals, and are not couples-only. It is my suggestion to go with Sandals, especially Negril, or Sandals Dunn's River in Ocho Rios (active) or Sandals Ocho Rios (more laid back). Skip Sandals Montego Bay and Sandals Inn.

Kate Jul 27th, 1998 11:36 AM

Cassie- <BR> <BR>Thanks for your help. We are early 30s and like to be somewhere that is not too crowded. Not bigtime partiers, but would like to have a bit of fun at night. Mostly want to do watersports and chill out. <BR> <BR>Which do you think would be the best? <BR> <BR>Kate

lae Jul 28th, 1998 05:54 AM

I also vote Sandals. In Jamaica, considering your tastes and wants: look into Sandals Negril, or Sandals Ocho Rios. Also, if not totally stuck on Jamaica, you may also want to consider Sandals Halcyon in St. Lucia. Beautiful, intimate resort with faster paced Sandals St. Lucia a 20 min.shuttle away.