Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Sunset Beach Resort in MoBay (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/sunset-beach-resort-in-mobay-184471/)

Kathy Jan 21st, 2003 06:11 AM

Sunset Beach Resort in MoBay

Considering a 3-day stay at the Sunset Beach Resort in Montego Bay in April. Is the nice? I know that this is a moderately priced AI, but is the resort nice? Was airport noise a problem?<BR>Thanks for your feedback.....

Kris Jan 21st, 2003 06:26 AM

We enjoyed our stay there last year. It's not fancy but the rooms were spacious and clean. No complaints with the service. The 2 reservation restaurants were very good, the buffet food was good (hit or miss but you can always go back for more). It was a quieter resort, not a lot of spring breakers.<BR><BR>There were lots of options for water sports-kayaks, wind surfers, sailboats, snorkeling from the beach. The beach was pretty quiet and there is a secluded section that is au naturel.<BR><BR>Airport noise was not a problem.<BR><BR>It's at the far end of Montego Bay so it was a 15-20 minute cab ride to get anywhere and you were always the first to be picked up for excursions. There's nowhere really to walk to, no shopping or restaurants close by. And like most of the resorts in Jamaica, non guests do not have access to the resort so there aren't people trying to sell you stuff or braid your hair, etc.<BR><BR>If you are flying out of a city served by FunJet, you should check their prices as they are the best I've seen so far.

Wendy Jan 21st, 2003 06:37 AM

I am a travel agent and had been to Jamaica a few times (and loved it) prior to staying at Sunset Beach last month. I am used to a 5 star hotel, like Sandals or Couples, so I found this resort somewhat unsatisfactory, but it did have some redeeming qualities.<BR><BR>They were in the process of renovating all of the rooms and our room hadn't been renovated yet. The other agent and I were laughing at the conditions. The glass door wouldn't open, we weren't allowed the luxury of an alarm clock, etc. <BR><BR>When I toured the property, I found the new parts were fine. Definately ask for the low rise buildings. The pools were fine. The service was just okay.<BR><BR>The other respondent is not used to Jamaica if they are expecting shopping and restaurants to be easily accessible. It is definately an island where you plan to be inside the resort for the majority of your stay.<BR><BR>Airport noise was no problem. If you like hotels, like a Holiday Inn, you would be okay there for the most part.<BR><BR>I hope I was of some help. Please feel free to email to me if you have any more questions.

Kris Jan 21st, 2003 07:43 AM

Wendy is right in that if you are the 5 star hotel sort and want lots of pampering and attention and organized activities, then Sunset Beach probably isn't for you. But if you are looking for a less expensive alternative that is a little quieter and low key, Sunset Beach was a good option. I had no complaints with this property.<BR><BR>I am aware that most people barely leave the resorts but some of the resorts seemed to be closer to some shops and restaurants. I just wanted Kathy to know that there really wasn't anything over by Sunset Beach. Do your souvenir shopping while out on excursions.<BR>

seningen May 28th, 2003 08:40 AM

How is the facilities for little ones?
We have a 3yr old that is quite
active that we travel with quite a bit.
Also how are the fitness facilities.
My wife is into group excercise.

thanks,

Mike