Suggestions where to go for young women

Jun 1st, 2004, 07:50 AM
kqa
Original Poster

Suggestions where to go for young women

My friend and I are planning a Caribbean trip this fall. We are both (newly) single and in our mid-thirties. We are not looking for a "singles resort", but are looking for somewhere where there is enough to do, without being "too much" (i.e. no "Hedonism" resorts)! Something along the lines of Key West, but not Key West. Thanks!
Jun 1st, 2004, 07:58 AM

Lots of places in Jamaica & cheap. Go to negril.com and it will tell you all about the hotels, prices, etc. Or Isla Mujures, St. Thomas...
Jun 1st, 2004, 09:49 AM

LOts and lots of places in the Carribean that would fix the bill. Mayan Riviera or Cancun in Mexico, Aruba, St. Martin...

If you get more specific in your priorities, you might be able to narrow down the recommendations.

For example, snorkeling? All inclusive or lots of restaurants? Hiking, cultural activities, nightlife, shopping etc?

Ken

You might also look back in the archives to see the answers to similar questions.

Jun 7th, 2004, 09:44 AM
kqa
Original Poster

For activities, I am looking for snorkeling, maybe kayaking, nice quiet beaches, good restaurants with a little bit of nightlife (nothing too extreme - just a bar or two). Also, somewhere with a little bit of a town and or/history, so there is something to do if the weather is not nice, or just to get out of the sun. No all inclusives - I like to get out and explore. Also, the ideal place would be walkable or accessible via scooters, so car rental wouldn't be necessary. Thanks!
Jun 7th, 2004, 10:43 AM

I agree with jen24's suggestions - Isla Mujeres or Negril.

Good value for the money, lots of places to stay, and a funky fun vibe.
Jun 7th, 2004, 11:36 AM

I think Negril sounds perfect and there are some good deals now for the fall. I would recommend Coco La Palm hotel - great location, great staff, safe. I stayed there with my daughter last year and there were several sets of single women there - they seemed to have a blast. They are a short walk to some great restaurants, bars, sunset cruises and cabs and drivers are easy to come by for excursions to falls, river cruises, etc.
Jun 9th, 2004, 04:37 AM

Uh, Ms. Gerber.

Please read the terms of posting on fodors.com - no business solicitations allowed.

Fodors likes for people to get their info from other travelers who have nothing to gain financially from their posts

Thanks.
Jun 10th, 2004, 03:21 PM

I am in the same situation. Looking to go somewhere with a friend over Christmas. Any suggestions on places to stay in Isla Mujeres?
Jun 11th, 2004, 04:57 AM

Hi Noonoo,

Sure:

Na Balam - $135-$175
Media Luna - $85-$125
Secreto - $150-$200
Villa Rolandi - $350-$400
Maria del Mar - $85-$110

IM is a GREAT place for a low key party scene without the over-the-top Cancun atmosphere.