Suggestions please on where to stay based on the following:

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a vacation for my husband and I for next August. Our budget is $3000 for a Thurs-Mon stay. Would prefer AI, beautiful beautiful beach, beachfront, modern and preferably adult only. Any suggestions?
Old Aug 15th, 2008, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

Any suggestions for the Caribbean?
Old Aug 15th, 2008, 05:43 AM

If you are looking for AI's check places in the Dominican Republic, Jamacia or Antigua - those are considered the AI's capitals of the Caribbean.
Old Aug 15th, 2008, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you A Traveller, I was actually looking at Antigua, Anguilla and several places in the D.R.
Old Aug 15th, 2008, 07:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How About Mexico's Riviera Maya? The Secrets Maroma just opened. It's adults only, high class, and on one of the most beautiful beaches around.
Also look into the Iberostar Paraiso Grand. Another gret adults only.
Old Aug 15th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks schmerl, I'll definitely check Maroma out!
Old Aug 15th, 2008, 08:19 AM

Hi, just a few random comments. You didn't mention where you were traveling from and/or if you budget needed to cover airfare too, but from a logistical perspective, I would consider the travel time involved since your trip is only four nights (personally I wouldn't want to waste two full days traveling).

You mentioned Anguilla, which definitely has great beaches and some very high end resorts, but none are AI, and travel time to Anguilla is usually longer than to a lot of other islands. You either have to take a small plane from SJU (where American recently cut back its service significantly) or fly to St Martin and take a ferry or small plane from there.

Also, I'm an advance planner too, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend booking anytime soon, unless you are trying to use frequent flyer tickets and/or find a hotel you like and get them to agree to match the deals they are offering this summer for next year. In any event, it is good to look now, so you get familiar with the seasonal specials for the same time of year. Since August is low season in the Caribbean, I think you will probably find better deals if you wait until next spring to book.

I am attaching links to some lists with AI and adults only (or both) hotels too that might help you get some other ideas:

www.cmtravelonline.com/adult_resort_listings.htm

http://www.resortvacationstogo.com/S...y_Resorts.html
Old Aug 15th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Hi Beachdreams3

You mention some interesting thoughts I had not considered. $3000 does not have to include the airfare since we would like to stay somewhere really nice. I should also mention that for AI I would like more options than buffet.

I do not plan to book for some time but I'm doing my research now since I have some free time.

I will check out the links.

Thanks!
Old Aug 15th, 2008, 09:00 PM

What do you like to do? Just lay on the beach, snorkel, fine dining, adventures, etc? Do you like crowded or more secluded places?
Etc?
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 05:57 AM
KVR

August is hurricane season, so factor that in also when picking a destination. Buy the insuracne that you cancel for any reason.

I agree with the Mexico. Very nice AI's that will meet your budget. However, we've been to Mexico 3 times in a Aug/Sept and won't do it again. It's just too hot and we had several close encouters due to hurricanes/tropical storms.

Look at the RIU in Aruba. Though it's not adults only. Aruba is considered outside of the hurricane belt. Also Amsterdam Manor. It's not adults only either, but they do not cater to children.

Jamaica has several adults only resorts like Sandals, Couples, the Grand Lido. Sunset at the Palms does not cater to children.
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

LvSun,

We don't like to do too much. Relax on the beach, not too crowded, great food, luxury accomodations, some snorkeling, bike riding, shopping, sightseeing, we're real simple.
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

KVR,

We usually go away in September for our anniversary and have done cruises. I just wanted a change and do a destination. I did check into Aruba but I was reminded that since we're not going away for a long period we should not go too far, we're flying from Maryland. The heat does not bother us and is one of the reasons we'll be going way, sun and sand. Have not decided what exactly we'll do but I do appreciate all the feedback!