Reload this Page >

Suggestions on a delayed honeymoon destination

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 06:11 PM
Christine

My husband and I have waited a year to go on our "delayed" honeymoon, and are looking for some suggestions. Looking for: somewhere warm, where I can read by the pool and relax, and maybe even have a massage; a cool/clean hotel with excellent service and reputation and an on-site restaurant that is worth going to; somewhere that has options for day trips (swimming with the dolphins, deep sea fishing, ancient ruins?); GREAT food in local restaurants; great snorkeling; nightlife; some local history; somewhere we will feel safe walking at night; under $2,500 if possible. Is there a place like this out there?<BR>Looking to go somewhere between April - July 2003. Was thinking all-inclusive resort, but am having doubts because we want to be able to go to local restaurants.<BR>I have been to Cancun and was not that impressed. Thought it was too americanized, and not enough sight-seeing options. Am looking for something a little more upscale, or at least for a "non-college" atmosphere. My husband has never been out of the U.S. and wants to go on a cruise, he's afraid he'll be "bored" on land. I'd like to go to Jamaica, but don't know if we can afford the type of resort we're looking for on our budget. Can anyone help with suggestions on where to go???

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 03:52 AM
xxx

I think Punta Cana gives you one of the biggest bangs for the buck. Most all are Al though. There are also some excellent prices on cruises where you could visit more than one Island. If you are going before 03 Jan. there are some great deals to be had. You may want to try Aruba as it is out of the hurricane belt depending on your time frame.

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 08:11 AM
Mariarosa

How about Cozumel? I stayed 4 nights at a non-AI hotel, rented a car, ate out every day at different restaurants (all the food was really good and inexpensive) and toured around the island (it's very small). Maybe the Intercontinental there?

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 08:27 AM
Mary

Hi Christine: If your husband is worried about being bored definitly find a resort that offers activities, excursions, nightly entertainment, etc. I'm the same way. <BR><BR>My husband and I love AI's (have done it both ways). We still go out to eat elsewhere and sample the local flavors and we still feel like we get our money's worth with an AI. However, we also like to splurge on alcoholic beverages when on vacation so that's something to consider as well. If you're not drinkers then I wouldn't do an AI either.

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 08:39 AM
Lisa

If you're interested in Jamaica, try the Caves, a beautiful property in the cliffs (west end) of Negril. Lots to do around there, plus the resort has an Aveda spa. The cliffs are a short taxi ride from 7 mile beach, where all the rest of the action is (ie restaurants, nightlife).<BR><BR>www.islandoutpost.com/caves<BR><BR>Wherever you decide, I hope you have a great time!<BR><BR>

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 10:42 AM
Arielle

Try the Paradisus in Punta Cana Dominican Republic--my travel agent highly recommends this hotel--has recommended to many clients.