Suggestions for places to snorkel with kids

May 11th, 1998, 10:43 AM
Lisa Sokol

Suggestions for places to snorkel with kids

Looking for places that we can go snorkeling with 9 and 11 year olds. Hotels that have snorkeling right off the beach are a plus. Hotels can either be inclusive have good restaurants near by. We will be going in August.

May 14th, 1998, 12:26 PM
Cheri

Look into Bonaire. Just came from there. Almost all snorkeling is from shore. For more info email me.

Jun 20th, 1998, 02:47 PM
Eleanor

Try Grand Cayman. Your kids should go crazy over Stingray City!

Jul 13th, 1998, 07:38 AM
Sue

Have you considered Akumal (100km south of Cancun)? We stayed at Club Oasis Akumal (a moderately priced all-inclusive). There is very good snorkelling off the hotel beach and there are lots other places nearby to explore Xel-ha, Tulum, Yal-ku. Sue

Jul 14th, 1998, 07:05 AM
Michel

My vote also goes to Club Oasis Akumal. It's a smaller family oriented resort (about 110 rooms) in a great natural setting. There are no highrise buildings and the architecture is interesting. In addition to snorkeling from the beach, activities include beach and pool volleyball, tennis, windsurfing, diving... You can also borrow a bike and cycle to the village of Akumal (approximately 20 minutes). You can also get to the ruins of Tulum by cab in about 10 minutes. The food is great, there is nightly live entertainment, and the people are the friendliest we've met.

Jul 15th, 1998, 09:21 PM
dimi

Lisa - DITTO to what Elanor said. My husband and I just got back from Gran Cayman and there were tons of kids going crazy for the snorkeling. If you do your homework like I do, you'll find that Grand Cayman is second to the Great barrier Reef in Australia!