Snorkeling Season in Eleuthera

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2018, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We love snorkeling from shore and are not boat people. In addition, we enjoy tooling around in a car and hopping from beach to beach. For these reasons, in addition to reasonable cottage rentals and decent restaurants, we are considering Eleuthera as a destination for this coming year. We will travel there sometime between December and March as we also want to avoid some of the winterish weather in New England.
The only concern I have is that, from what I've read, the best snorkeling is on the Atlantic side and sometimes the weather kicks up the sand in the winter. Is that true? Is there decent snorkeling on the calmer, Caribbean side? Are we likely to have better conditions early in our time frame (Nov-Dec), middle of winter (Jan-Feb) or later (March)?
We've struck out a couple of time with reservations to islands only to arrive when storms were stirring up the sand and waves, making for poor conditions. Hoping to avoid that again.
I would appreciate any help -- while recognizing that ESP regarding weather is a risky business.
Old Jul 9th, 2018, 02:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snorkeling in Eleuthera is just okay in my opinion, I never found an area that makes me want to return and snorkel

it is great for exploring many beaches and hoping around though.

Other islands are are much better—

virgin Islands

caymans

turks and caicos

you could also try Roatan and Ambrigris Cay, but the trade off is the beaches are just okay