Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Stuff in Barbados (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/stuff-in-barbados-101968/)

Mike Jan 24th, 2001 11:53 AM

Stuff in Barbados

I wanted to know how prevalent the use of pot is on Barbados? What is the drinking age? Is it possible to rent mopeds there? Are there other fishing options rather then shelling out for a charter boat?

John Jan 24th, 2001 11:57 AM

I think the drinking age is 18 like in England.

Joanie Jan 25th, 2001 05:18 AM

<BR>The pushers will find you & chances are good the cops will too, I promise. Bajans are proud, religious people & don't put up with such shenanigans. <BR> <BR>Not many mopeds, you'll have to rent a car. Consider a moke. Teeny little open car. <BR> <BR>Don't know about fishing. <BR> <BR>Plenty of legal fun on Barbados without resorting to mind-altering substances. If you can't have fun without breaking the law, best not to go to foreign countries, Mike. <BR>

Tatiana Jan 25th, 2001 09:23 AM

Getting pot is no problem in Barbados not as easy as Jamaica, but still very available. We got from the guys that ran the watersports activities at our hotel. <BR> <BR>Not all Bajans are as "uptight" as some people would lead you to believe (above post). Use common sense and dont approach just anybody for it. Be discreet when smoking it and you should have no problems. (Ha ha "mind altering" - Its not like you're smoking dust or crack!) Irie

Anon Jan 25th, 2001 01:26 PM

<BR>Tatania feels it's fine to break the law as long as you're discreet & considers law abiding citizens to be "uptight"? How mature! <BR> <BR>Do tell, Tatania, just how do you discern who to approach? By their looks? Dreadlocks can be deceiving. <BR> <BR>I have friends on the island & I'll tell you the truth. Those same beach boys at Mullins Bay or Dover Beach, etc will happily take turn you in to the police for a few $, shortly after they take your $ for the contraband. <BR> <BR>You'll have no right to feel wronged after being busted & stuck in a nasty Caribbean jail for months or years. It's the price you might pay for the chance you take. It's harder to buy your way out than in. <BR> <BR>Go. Buy. Get arrested. It will get you off the beach & out of the way. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Tatiana Jan 25th, 2001 02:08 PM

WARNING: Immature drug crazed pot smokers running amok commiting violent crimes in Barbados, hide your children! <BR> <BR>And remember boys and girls, as the famous "Anon" always said: "It's harder to buy your way out than in." <BR>

Fodorite Jan 25th, 2001 03:04 PM

<BR>Tatania, that last post just proved the point about maturity.

Tatiana Jan 25th, 2001 03:42 PM

To "Anon", er, I mean "Fodorite"; <BR> <BR>Ever hear the saying "stick in the mud" or "to each his own"? <BR> <BR>Loosen up & lighten up, your'e TOO mature! <BR> <BR>Lets not waste any more of Fodors space, Irie!

freddie Jan 26th, 2001 08:35 PM

In barbados we like our jails closed and our gonja blazing. Suck it trebeck!

Jack from opp Jan 27th, 2001 09:37 AM

Can anyone give a serious review about the subject matter because it is a subject which needs to be addressed for future toursists. Thanks

Don Jan 27th, 2001 03:29 PM

<BR>You CAN get drugs on the island. You PROBABLY won't be approached to buy unless you look like you want to be approached. You SHOULDN'T ask around. If you buy, you MAY wind up in trouble because many of the dealers there do play both sides for every penney. (Maybe they do that on other islands too, I don't know.) It's certainly not an issue to be flippant & careless about, as some are here.