Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Struggling with Decision for Honeymoon (St. Barts/St. Lucia)

Jul 1st, 2017, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

Hi all! New to the forum. We recently spent a "mini-moon" in Anguilla and absolutely loved it. We are headed on our longer honeymoon in late November/December. We were booked for the Maldives but due to the travel, distance from our young children and some of the issues in that region we've decided to stick a little closer to home. Really struggling with two very different destinations - St. Barts or St. Lucia. We would split hotels on either island (SB - TBD & SL - Ladera & Sugar Beach). We have a third option to split SB (four nights) with Antigua (Hermitage Bay - five nights). We love beaches, love food and love to explore. The beauty of the Pitons draws us to SL but we've heard the locals aren't so great compared to other islands. St. Barts is a totally different experience but also has a lot of appeal given the European feel of the island. With that said, we loved the Caribbean feel in Anguilla - the locals, the curries, the hot sauce, the grilled lobster. SB is more expensive vs the relatively good deals we're getting in SL.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. We are in analysis paralysis mode!
Jul 2nd, 2017, 02:00 AM

St Barths is a chic island, there is not a great deal to explore, there are couple great beaches, excellent restaurants etc but you won't get the same vibe as Anguilla. I would not split hotels on such a small island. It is also quite hilly. There isn't much of it's Swedish past left, couple houses in Gustavia and that's about it.

I would split St Barths with Saba, since you are drawn to the beauty of the Pitons. No beaches but absolutely stunning scenery, excellent restaurants, good side trip for 2 nights. I don't often use the word quaint, but that is exactly what it is. Problem with that is you have to fly back to St Martin to get to Saba, unless there is a ferry service.

Antigua has the beaches but personally did not find the food scene to be great, however there are couple very high standard AI hotels, the Hermitage being one of them, I would expect the food to be very good.

St Martin has some great hotels and fabulous beaches. La Samanna is on just about the best beach on the island, very quiet, very private.
Jul 2nd, 2017, 02:37 AM

Have not been to St. Lucia, so I can't comment on that island, but have been to Anguilla many times, St. Bart's, St. Martin and Antigua twice each. I would only go back to Anguilla and St. Bart's. I love them both, Anguilla for its beaches and restaurants, St. Bart's for its chic-ness, restaurants and drop dead gorgeous scenery. Not crazy about St. Martin -- we stayed at La Samana in late November and the beach had been completely washed away by Fall storms. It was treacherous trying to get into the water which had huge swells. In March it was completely different, calm and beautiful. I thought Antigua was just okay. My favorite vacation was a split between Anguilla and St. Bart's.
Jul 2nd, 2017, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

We could also split St. Barts and Anguilla - since we loved Anguilla so much. That's not a bad idea. We have no interest in staying in St. Martin. Not on our list of islands to visit at all. I believe there is a flight between SB and Anguilla, correct? Just wondering if nine nights on St. Barts is too much. Any opinion on that? We do like the idea of splitting hotels if we stay nine nights to see two properties and two different beaches. Should be an easy transfer.