Story on All-Inclusives

Jul 18th, 2003, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Story on All-Inclusives

For all of you that have questions on the pros and cons of all inclusives, here is an interesting story - http://www.msnbc.com/news/939164.asp?0dm=C18VR

There is even a place to write the editor and share good experiences or horror stories with all-inclusives.
Jul 18th, 2003, 09:50 AM

To save some the trouble of clicking thru the story, it amounts to this: a reporter picked ONE all inclusive and ONE non-inclusive resort in Jamaica and compared the prices of the two as best as she could.
She concluded she saved $98 at the AI.
There was no real attempt to compare quality of one vs the other as I read it.
Jul 18th, 2003, 06:54 PM

rwilliams,
If you are going to push people away from reading a story, atleast provide all the details and not only excerpts that downplay the story.

The savings she experienced when not removing all of their activities was over $500.

Would appear you are not a fan of AI's
Jul 18th, 2003, 07:58 PM

I happen to like A/I from the experience I have had to date. However, I would not restrict myself to A/I.
Jul 18th, 2003, 08:21 PM

Just to check the accuracy of the story (since Steve appears to be a believer in AI's...I'm certainly not, but that's just a matter of personal taste) I went ahead and checked rates just like the author did.
Here's what I found on Expedia:

Renaissance Grande Jamaica: (in the article the author chose a pay per meal plan, while Expedia and the hotel's own website price out the all-meals/drinks included price) including all meals and drinks, 2 people, 3 nights = $525.
No golf or motorized water sports included.

Beaches Boscobel: also all-inclusive, 3 nights, 2 people = $982.80
Includes golf and motorized water sports.

At the Renaissance there is a pay as you go a la carte dining plan (which is obviously more expensive than the AI plan). The author chose this plan. Obviously not the most economical way to experience this resort, and obviously that would make the comparison USELESS.

Now in theory if someone rings up $457 in golf and motorized water sport fees in three days, Beaches comes out to be cheaper. Otherwise, the Renaissance was cheaper using their "non-traditional" AI plan.

So what of a more traditional non-AI hotel in the same category? (The author should have done this work for us).
Let's go all out in favor of Beaches in this comparison---we'll compare Beaches with the island's best major resort hotel, the Ritz Carlton Rose Hall.
So how much is a three night stay without meals/drinks?
It's $507 on Expedia (for a dramatically better hotel; still leaves $475 left over for food/drink, which isn't enough, but a much better hotel too).

And the Ritz has an AI package for a real gauge of just how little value Beaches offers.
The AI rate at the Ritz is $1125 for 3 days.
The article in question says Beaches will cost $1026.
Which would you choose? The Ritz Carlton at $1125 (with high quality food and drink minus golf) or Beaches for $1026?

My points are simply that 1) the author did a HORRIBLE job of writing an article about AI value because she didn't use a meaningful non-AI example, 2) she didn't get the best rates (at EITHER place), and 3) she failed to say anything about quality. Why do people pay more to stay at a Ritz Carlton? They want high quality rooms, food, and service.
Beaches offers none of these, but still charges premium rates.

So until you are willing to try to factor quality into the comparison, the comparison is useless, and if you do compare, you must compare resorts of similar quality.

The author failed miserably at this.
She would have gotten a D-minus in Journalism 101.
Jul 18th, 2003, 09:06 PM

Good work Steve,

I loved the lead into the article, "You'll be surprised at what our sleuth uncovered on the beach in Jamaica"

But she didn't fail miserably, she was doing her job, I'm more then sure this was the story she was to come back with. Magazines do have to make good for there advertisers.

Only problem was she didn't cover her bases by checking out if the Jamiaca Grande was running the same or better deal at the same time. Hey! I'll take the room service at the Jamacia Grande.

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/mes/...Offercode=X010

Donna

Jul 18th, 2003, 09:28 PM

Oops! I meant good work rwilliams

Donna
Jul 19th, 2003, 04:38 AM

Please if we are going to compare prices, lets use actual ones. As of this moment, 3 nights starting 10/3/03 at Renaissance Jamaica Grande $628, Beaches Boscobel $688, Ritz Carlton $1,046.
Jul 19th, 2003, 06:09 AM

Please, if we are going to compare prices with the story in question, stick with the story's parameters. I used the same month the author used (August).
We all know how much travel prices fluctuate as dates change.