Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

STJ ?'s (where to buy booze and how to get to the north shore)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family and I are going to STJ in 6 weeks, and I am trying to determine how to get to the National Park beaches from Coral Bay. We are staying at the villa Coral Rays. From usvimaps.com, it looks like there is a road that runs from Centerline Rd to Maho Beach. Does this road have a name? Or, do I not need to worry about the name because it is the only perpendicular road between Coral Bay and Cruz Bay?

Also, where is the best place to buy liquor (rum and tequila) once we arrive? We could buy it on STT or STJ, depending on where it is the cheapest.

Thanks!
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 03:09 PM

I don't recall a name for that road, but it is the only one connecting the North Shore road and Centerline road. There is a road marker, but it's not all that clear coming from the Coral Bay direction. There is a "smoothie" and snack stand almost directly across from this turn on Centerline road. You won't miss it. It's the first right turn off of Centerline road that is not a driveway. It also goes down a steep hill, so any turns uphill are definitely not it. It can get a bit confusing lower down on the hill as there are portions which split and are one-ways. Just follow the signs very carefully and you'll figure it out. As for cheap places to buy rum and tequila,just about anywhere even the small convenience stores in Coral Bay will carry the basic brands and cost you a mere $4-6 per bottle for standard local fare like Cruzan (which we pay $14-16 for up here in Connecticut, not including taxes). I wouldn't bother scouting out anywhere special to buy liquor (good wine selection is more tricky). The most you'll save is only around a dollar or so. Some folks will buy at the airport which is duty-free, but just about the same price as quoted above anyway. The advantage of buying at the airport is really a better selection and some higher quality brands like Mount Gay (gee, I seem to know alot about rum !). In Coral Bay, you can get basic groceries and booze at Lily's right in the Aqua Bistro complex, and also Love City market. Love City can look intimidatingly rundown on the outside, but the owners are very nice and they are fairly well-stocked for a small place, and the less pricey of the two. Have a great time and don't hesitate to ask any questions about the Coral Bay area.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Tuxedocat! We'll definitely look out for the smoothie stand.

Are you familiar with the villa Coral Rays? It is somewhere near Bordeaux. I'm trying to figure out how long it takes to get from the villa to Cruz Bay because it looks like it is a long way up from Centerline Rd.

Finally, is there a road, dirt or otherwise, that we can take to get to Lameshur? On trailbandit.org, there is a trail called the Bordeaux Mt Trail but I'm not sure if you can drive a jeep on it.

Thank you!!
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 12:27 PM

We've been to St. John four times, and the last two times we've stayed on Mamey Peak near Coral Bay, which is close the the road that heads toward north shore beaches (the one with the smoothie stand on the corner). We usually buy our booze in the airport because they put it in an easy-to-carry box, mixers and all. Then we're done. But it's also easy to buy on the island. I have never seen your villa, but I prefer the Coral Bay end because I like the town better than Cruz Bay and the access to the beaches can't be beat. But it's a cinch to get to Cruz Bay, too, so don't worry about it. It's not far. Enjoy St. John! It is a wonderful place.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 06:34 PM

I just took a quick look at your villa. NICE! You are pretty high up in Carolina/Bordeaux. I wager by the time you get down your "driveway" to the connection to Centerline, you'll be pretty darn close to that turn to the northshore. Whether you'd turn to the left towards Cruz Bay or right towards Coral Bay is the question. But no worries really, you are probably no further than 20-25 minutes drive into Cruz Bay and about 10-15 minutes into Coral Bay. You will be a bit secluded but your villa looks lovely. The rum will help. If you want to be a bit more specific about what you hope to do during this trip, what ambiance you hope to find, this forum can be quite helpful. Also, although Coral Bay clings to the romance of its pirate past, it has some very fine and fun aspects. Don't miss a dinner out at Miss Lucy's! Also, we just had friends who followed our advice re: Sweet Plaintains and fell in love with the place. Cruz Bay can definitely be fun, but even Kenny Chesny will vouch for Coral Bay's charms.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great advice! It sounds like Coral Bay is right up my alley. My previous experiences with the Caribbean has been Ambergris Caye and Roatan, both extremely laidback areas.