Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Stayed in the Tara Suites, Bucuti Beach, Aruba, where next? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/stayed-in-the-tara-suites-bucuti-beach-aruba-where-next-500115/)

alya Jan 31st, 2005 06:22 PM

Stayed in the Tara Suites, Bucuti Beach, Aruba, where next?

We stayed in the Tara Suites for 10 days last June for my 40th birthday, just after they'd officially opened. Loved the resort, wonderful weather, gorgeous clean well appointed room, pleasant staff, nice large sandy beach adjacent to the hotel, plenty of palapas, good restaurants within easy reach, no children - although to be fair we did go off season to make sure. We also like some activities/shopping and dislike All-Inclusive. We'd like to book a vacation this year but how do I 'top' the Bucuti Beach? We don't want to go back to Aruba there are too many places that need exploring to go back - although I'm sure we will someday!
Suggestions anyone?

abbylou Feb 2nd, 2005 11:44 AM

Alya,

Go to Italy. Went a couple of years ago and it was wonderful (Rome, Florence and Tuscany). I imagine you probably wanted a Caribbean recommendation, but you asked <grin>. By the way, I will be in the Tara Suites in April, so thanks for your input.

Abbylou

mhcatl Feb 2nd, 2005 11:51 AM

Personally, I think I'd like to try Cap Juluca (www.capjuluca.com) on Anguilla next.. on the expensive but looks amazing.

alya Feb 3rd, 2005 10:00 AM

Hi abbylou, It's not that I'm particularly looking at the Carribean but we're English living now in the US, have 'done' a lot of europe and now want to concentrate of this region of the world. Have a wonderful time - I hope you upgraded to the Tara Suites!

mhcatl
I was already looking at Anguilla. If ever I come into a serious amount of money Cap Juluca will be where i celebrate!

abbylou Feb 3rd, 2005 10:27 AM

Hi Alya,

No, didn't upgrade to Tara, just booked it. Didn't know you could upgrade.

There are a ton of people more knowledgeable than me regarding the Caribbean, but I have heard wonderful things about Canada, and of course, the States offer a wide variety of things to do as well. Depends on what you are looking for.

Where in the US are you?

-Abbylou

alya Feb 7th, 2005 05:17 AM

abbylou,

we're in MA, so we're happily exploring New England and at any available opportunity head to New York.

Last year we also visited Aruba, San Francisco and Toronto.

I'm still looking for a vacation for early March and I think it needs to be a beach, chill-out location.

By 'upgrading to the Tara Suites' I meant I hope you paid the extra but I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself. If you fancy something different I recommend the Kayaking tour. I was expecting to ache the next day (the horse riding was painful the next day) but we didn't and that was the best snorkeling we did while on Aruba.

ejcrowe Feb 7th, 2005 05:54 AM

Alya, hope you're enjoying your time here in the US--I live in MA, too, having just moved here from Mississippi a few years ago.

It sounds like you might enjoy one of the more upscale condo accommodation along Grace Bay on the island of Providenciales (called Provo) in the Turks & Caicos island chain. Check out www.coralgardens.com for very nice accommodations--don't let the word "condo" put you off in this case. They also offer packages at Luxurylink.com that include spa treatments, daysails, and different combinations of meals. Grace Bay is a beautiful, miles-long white sand beach with calm water and the snorkeling is supposed to beat the pants off what is available in Aruba.

You might also want to check out Frangipani on Anguilla, and island known for its beautiful white sand beaches and terrific variety of restaurants. I belive the website there is www.frangipani.ai. There's a poster here named HowardC who has stayed at both Frangipani and Coral Gardens over a dozen times--I recommend that you do a search for some of his posts.

sks Feb 7th, 2005 04:00 PM

I'd love a great answer to this question as well. Loved the Tara suites - but want to try a different warm weather destination. But what I really want is a small (less than 100 rooms), but lovely, resort like Bucuti with great rooms like the Tara suites, and of course the fabulous beach out your front door. Trying to help my Mom come up with ideas for her second marriage. Any thoughts on a Bucuti-like resort for a second marriage? Could be Hawaii or Caribbean, or ??