Stay in St. Kitts or Nevis?

Mar 26th, 2008, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Stay in St. Kitts or Nevis?

I have the opportunity to stay in St. Kitts while on a trip to Nevis. Five days in Nevis at the Four Seasons, then I can choose to go to St. Kitts for the remainder of the trip or stay put at the Four Seasons and day trip to St. Kitts. The beach and access to it are the most important to us. Any suggestions at all? We have never been to either location.
Mar 26th, 2008, 09:55 AM

For me it's no contest--I'd much rather stay on Nevis and then day trip to St. Kitts. With the exception of Fort Brimstone on St. Kitts, I liked *everything* better about Nevis. The beaches, the people, the charm, the size, the restaurants, the hotels, and the overall vibe of the island.

I enjoyed my trip to St. Kitts very much and I'm happy that I got to explore the island, but in the future I will happily return to Nevis and pass up St. Kitts.

However, for everybody on this board who prefers Nevis, you'll also find folks who prefer St. Kitts, so read all of the responses and then decide which island resonates more with you.
Mar 26th, 2008, 03:52 PM

We split our time between St. Kitts and Nevis. We were on St. Kitts first, and I was really sort of bummed to be leaving. When we got settled on Nevis, we decided we really liked it there as well. I would be hard pressed to pick a favorite.

But, we are mid-level travelers, stayed at Timothy Beach on St. Kitts and Oualie Beach on Nevis. I'm not sure there's a comparable property on the beach on St. Kitts compared to the Four Seasons.

I've found in traveling that it's hard to 'step down' in accomodations. Always nice to save the nicest property until last. For that reason alone, I'd stay on Nevis.
Mar 26th, 2008, 07:38 PM

DITTO what ejcrowe had to say. Stay on Nevis and visit St. Kitts. The hotel launch back and forth will cost big bucks. Take a taxi downtown Charlestown and take a local ferry. (much more fun) Hire a taxi at the ferry dock or at "the Circus" (main Sq.); a couple of blocks away. Lunch a Ballahoo at the Circus is good. Rawlin's plantation and Brimstone Hill can be done in a couple of hours. The sugarcane train has been having trouble and they now bus you half way around the island to take the trip back via the train. It only runs during high seasons so I'd scratch it off your to do list (if it was there to begin with). The Marriott is a bore. If you have time to go to one of the beaches before catching a ferry back to Nevis, try one of the local beach bars. The Concierge at the 4S will be happy to help you schedule your day.
Mar 27th, 2008, 04:22 AM
iw

Oh, what a question! Personally, we split our time between Nevis and St. Kitts. The way I view it, Nevis is the perfect start to a vacation. Very relaxing and quiet. After a few days there (the 4S is excellent, BTW), I am ready for a little more action and nightlife. So, then we head to St. Kitts. Many are not fan of the Marriott and it doesn't hold a candle to the 4S, but I like it. It is out of place on the island, but you lack for nothing there. Now the beach there is nice, but the water is rough, so I would look at a plantation inn or another location if that is important to you.
Nevis has excellent restaurants: Coconut Grove, Oualie Beach Hotel and Bananas are my favorites.
Day trips are nice if you decide to stay put.
Good luck.
Mar 27th, 2008, 07:20 AM

If I had the same choice, I would choose Nevis! The FS has an all-encompassing quality down to the minute details.
It's set on a perfect beach. There are nice pools and a nice jacuzzi. We'll return to the FS again. It is perfect.