Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Starfish Trelawny (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/starfish-trelawny-204081/)

KK Nov 4th, 2001 04:44 PM

Starfish Trelawny

Any comments on this place from anyone? Heard they're doing a $5 mil renovation to be done in December. Worth it to go? Or not?

kk Nov 19th, 2001 05:53 PM

still waiting for any comments....anyone?

Linda Nov 21st, 2001 02:20 PM

We are going in mid-December. I will let you know how it was.

Troy Dec 3rd, 2001 05:18 PM

I am planning to go in mid January so I will look forward to your report. Enjoy!

pierre Dec 3rd, 2001 07:07 PM

The place needed a renovation. I was there two years ago and it was terrible. The beach was average, continuous wind. The main building was in disrepair and with all the character of an East German apartment building.At that time three couples checked in and checked out in two hours , they felt it was the worst property they had ever visited.After two days you felt like you were trapped at the A/I with no place to go. Perhaps SC will have turned the place around and hired an exterminator to rid the building of the giant roaches, when the lights went on at night the floor came alive.When you get back post a report on the current status.

kk Dec 4th, 2001 03:48 AM

I'm going in the beginning of January!!<BR>Will give any addt'l info if I can! :)

Linda Jan 9th, 2002 02:07 PM

Well, the renovation wasn't complete in mid-December and the owners were great about it. Before we arrived, they contacted us and moved us to Breezes Runaway Bay. Once we drove past Trelawny, we were thrilled at our good luck. Until someone actually stays there post-renovation, I would not recommend it. We certainly recommend Breezes Runaway Bay. It was great. Happy travels, Linda

Linda Mar 14th, 2002 05:52 AM

AWFUL AWFUL!!! Always has been, always will be!! Spend your $$$$$ elsewhwere!! Linda

phyllis Mar 19th, 2002 03:42 PM

linda i email you but i don't know if you got it. when was the last time you were there? we are going in 3 days and now i am wondering if i just booked the vacation from hell. please get back to me asap. it probably is too late to change our plans but i would like to be prepared. i am going with my 13 yr old dtr and her friend and mom. we just wanted an easy going vacation not luxury but not a dump either. did the renovations really not help?????? phyllis

Dawn Mar 24th, 2002 12:04 PM

Just came back from Trelawny Starfish on March 3. Didn't stay just went over to check it out. We have stayed there previously. You would not recognize the place. Where disco and night club used to be is a new buffet area and dining space. They put in a disco and hot tub where the buffet was. Added a bar to the lobby. Changed the piano bar to a shushi and japaneese restaurant. Added a piano bar and stage with a slide from there into one of the new pools. Put in a ice skating rink in between the cottaged. Added a whole new pool and a pool for the kids, complete with a waterfall and slide. All new pool area. Took down the retaining wall on the beach and added a trapeze. Unbelievable. Just some of the renovations. Most of the rooms have been redone. Really looks super. Like I said I didn't stay but the people that I did talk to were having a great time. e-mail if you need any further information.

april Apr 5th, 2002 08:00 AM

We came back on March 24th from spending a week there. I had never been to Jamaica before and didn't know quite what to expect in terms of the resorts. The resort itself was nice and there were plenty of things to do to keep busy. <BR><BR>The rooms were below average, however. I did not see any bugs, thank goodness. It was basicly clean. <BR><BR>I do agree that I began to feel a little claustrophobic after awhile at the resort, but that is what the tours are for and there are tour agents at the resort all day and most of the night.<BR><BR>My favorite part was the "island" off of the beach. Very quiet and pretty, relaxing too.