Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon suggestions- we don't want to sit around. And we don't want crowds or topless people.

Search

Honeymoon suggestions- we don't want to sit around. And we don't want crowds or topless people.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 09:01 PM
happy

We want to go somewhere in June for our honeymoon. We would like suggestions-- all-inclusive is nice but we were thinking renting a villa and going here or there. We like diving, hiking, snorkeling, tennis, sailing, and great food. Been to Turks& Caicos, Jamaica,Bahamas & the Cayman Islands. Want something new. Thanks.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 04:55 AM
hmmmmm

Try Belize

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 07:05 AM
Linda

I think Belize is still a bit third world. Still some crime problems there. I suggest the BVI. Rates are good in June, no crowds until Carnival dumps a load on Wed in Tortola. Safe to drive there, no crime. I think you'd enjoy Tortola and ferry over to Virgin Gorda,Jost, etc. Take a day sail for great snorkeling.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 10:11 AM
JHC

First off, Linda does not know what she's talking about. Belize is beautiful, has charming mayan history, and is definately off of the beaten path. Of all the places I've visited in the caribbean and latin america, Belize (Ambergis Caye) was my favorite. <BR><BR>Seems that you've been to the caribbean alot, try something new. Costa Rica is also wonderful.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 10:32 AM
Travelbuff

I have heard also that belize is a bit rustic. I would also go to BVI (which is incredible) in particular - The Bitter End Yaght Club. Or, you could try St. Lucia - it is suppose to be the most beautiful of them all.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 10:52 AM
Linda

Excuse me, I didn't say Belize wasn't beautiful and I DO know what I'm talking about. One of my good friends has built two hotels there and goes down there every other month.I hear many stories from him.It is definitely going to be the place to go in a few more years, but it is still a bit rustic if you prefer that term.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 11:58 AM
Peggy

I have to throw my 2cents in... I have travelled all over the Caribbean and last year decided to go to Belize. I stayed in Placencia... it reminded me a little of the South Pacific. The scenery, diving, snorkeling, rain forest, ruins sound like just what you active couple would eat up. I know I did. There are a few inclusives on Placencia, namely Robert's Grove and Francis Ford Coppola's place. Check out the Belize Forum web site. I found everything I needed on that site. Don't surpass Belize!

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 01:15 PM
yes

Go to the Peter Island Resort in the BVI's. It is breathtaking they offer an all-inclusive deal. It's pricey but worth it. You can island hop and visit Virgin Gorda, St. Johns, St. Thomas, etc.<BR>The beaches, snorkeling, food and atmosphere is picturesque! Would go back in a heartbeat.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 03:23 PM
Jackie

I agree with the suggestions for BVI. I am just back from Tortola. We took a day trip to Peter Island Resort -- it was fabulous and I see that it is currently being auctioned on luxury link.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 12:14 PM
happy

these are all good tips--any thoughts on time shares?? i have been to costa rica-- but thanks for the idea.<BR>and what about the grenadines? or petit st. vincent? where in tortola?<BR>love the ideas and stories people have.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 06:05 AM
My 2 Cents

It's your honeymoon. Why would you possibly want to go to Belize or anywhere in Mexico? How corny is that? Rustic or non-rustic, it's still Mexico, home of spring breakers or people who can't afford to go somewhere better.<BR><BR>Go to the BVIs, go to Bermuda or go to the South Pacific, but leave Mexico to the less fortunate.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 06:11 AM
Mary

I have to disagree. Cheap or expensive, I love Mexico. Specifically, I've been to Playa del Carmen and Cozumel and can't wait to go back some day.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 07:01 AM
Gordy

My choice would be to stay at Hurricane Cove Bungalows on Nevis, specifically in the villa Seabiscuit. Cute small 1br house on bluff overlooking the straights to St. Kitts. Sunsets from 2 private balconies. Your own private pool (not a plunge pool). Nice folks on the island. Diving and water sports a 6 minute walk from the villa. Wild monkeys in the rainforest. No gambling places. Not alot of night life but with the view you get from the villa and considering you are on a honeymoon who cares. Email me for more info. It's the Carib the way it was 30 years ago. Nice place.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 09:01 AM
author

good info.<BR>keep it coming.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 12:43 PM
Alex

Look into Le Sport in St.Lucia. Went there last year for my honeymoon (along with Ladera Resort). Its an all-inclusive resort/spa. Two spa treatments a day plus plenty of sports activities, i.e. snorkeling, diving, golf, tennis, hiking, mini-catamarans, etc. Most of which are included in the price. Fairly low-key as well. Since many Europeans frequent the resort, you'll see an occasional topless bather. Fantastic food at their TAO restaurant. Website is www.lesport.com.lc

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 02:20 PM
NoMexico

Hey Happy, you want to stay happy? I agree with the people above saying don't go to Mexico. There is nothing magical about Mexico! Your honeymoon should be exceptional/romantic/memorable. Go to Anguilla, (Cap Juluca* or Malliouhana) or Antigua, (Jumby Bay) or Barbados (Glitter Bay or Coral Reef Club) the Grenadines, (Besquia, Plantation House Hotel) St. Lucia, (Royal St. Lucian) St. Kitts, (Golden Lemon) just a few suggestions...BUT NOT MEXICO!<BR>NM

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 02:55 AM
bo

Coral Gardens--Provo--Turks and Caicos Islands---not crowded--beautiful beaches--romantic--great food--no toppless beaches--don't know what your budget is, but its not the least expensive place you can go, but one the best places you will ever go!!! Been all over the Caribbean. I've stayed up too 2 months at a time in the Caribbean going to different Islands!!

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 04:11 AM
penny

Why not Little Dix Bay, they have lots of beach and boat activites,day sails to Anegada, and day trips to St.John. You can get inter-island ferries and explore! Virgin Gorda is lovely!

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 02:07 PM
happy

so- it looks like nevis. any comments or recommendations? restaurants?<BR>day trips?<BR>thanks.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 06:28 PM
Sharon

I researched Costa Rica for my sister's honeymoon last July. I was fascinated by what I read and enchanted by the stories and pictures she shared upon return. It is a diverse country with Caribbean and Pacific coasts, the Arenal Volcano, Rainforests and more.<BR><BR>How adventurous do you want to be? They stayed 1 week near Arenal at Tabacon. It's a resort area. There they did the canopy tour - moving from treetop platform to treetop platform on ziplines. Then they stayed in a jungle bungelow on the Pacific Coast. La Paloma is very isolated and primitive (no phones, no tvs, no road access, powered by generator) There they went kayaking, hiking, and snorkling. They had numerous wildlife encounters

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -