Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

St. Vincent..taxis/ drivers: take any or book ahead?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2008, 02:21 PM
leavingsoon

Hi

We're leaving in less than a week and will either take a taxi from the airport to the Bequia ferry OR we'll need a car and driver to tour us around the island for a few hours while awaiting our evening flight.

Either way, can anyone kindly recommend a taxi driver or company for the first trip. Do we book ahead, or just take one right there?

If we need a driver, which company would do this and what should we expect to pay? Could we charge it or will cash be expected?

Thank you. We are not sure which we'll do, but the weather will decide it for us.

Also, where would you visit in the rain?/ What would you do for a few hours?

Old Aug 13th, 2008, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry I'm not able to help you with someone specific. Friends usually pick me up. My suggestion is to visit www.svgtourism.com and see what might be available. There are always numerous taxis at the airport offering services. Decide where you want to go and negotiate your price prior to leaving the airport. The taxi fare will be quoted in EC dollars. Average exchange is $2.67 to $1.00US
Another source of info www.insandoutssvg.com
You could probably set up with someone upon arrival, get their number and then let them know what time you will be returning from Bequia the next week.
Have fun
Old Aug 13th, 2008, 09:35 PM
leavingsoon

Thanks, vincygirl.

So, then it is perectly safe/fine to just take any taxi?

Thank you again. In that pre-trip what have I forgotten panic!

Old Aug 14th, 2008, 04:07 AM

You're welcome leaving soon. I was reading a post on another board and Sam Taxi was mentioned. I had forgotten all about his services. Sam Taxi has been around at least as long as I have been traveling to St. Vincent(16 yrs). The www.insandoutssvg.com have a listing for him and a website. The website must have changed but an e-mail address is listed as well as a phone number. On the other board he had been recommended by a Vincentian who posts regularly. I love St. Vincent. Beautiful island because it is not commercial. The people I have encountered over the years could not be more accommodating and helpful. My favorite stops are the Botanical Gardens in Kingstown, the markets, and riding thru the countryside.
Bequia is equally as friendly. I guess a slight comparison to get an idea, think of Jacksonville FL/St. Augustine JAX being compared to Kingstown, St. Vincent or another example Savannah/Jekyll Island. Getting back to the taxi questions I would suggest having cash on hand for payment. Remember we are not talking your usual tourist destination. Carry small bills no larger than US $20s. I usually carry a few $20s and a greater number of 10s and 5s. I tip in US because of the exchange rate and the workers can use the few extra cents. Most restaurants take CC unless a small local one.
I am soooo jealous, wish I was leaving for SVGin less than a week. If you go by the Gingerbread please tell the barkeeps, Sandy(that's me) one of the women stranded last Sept by Windjammer says Hi
HAVE FUN
Old Aug 15th, 2008, 09:37 AM
leavingsoon

That's great! I am going to get in touch with Sam Taxi if I can find it/him.

Thank you again. I'll let you know how it goes!

Old Aug 15th, 2008, 02:27 PM

I would personally recommend Sam's Taxi Tours for either a taxi or a tour. Check them out here:
http://www.samandtaxitours.com/index.html

If you contact ahead of time they will meet your flight and take you wherever you need to go.
Old Aug 15th, 2008, 04:28 PM
leavingsoon

That's so helpful also. Thank you!

Old Aug 16th, 2008, 02:07 PM

My personal preference on St. Vincent is Phyllis Peters. (784) 458-4868 or 458-4945 at the airport or 493-9804 cell-phone or 485-1055 beeper. But you are safe with anyone at the airport. Sam Taxi is good for tours as others have said

On Bequia, my favourite is Noel taxi. You can email him to meet you at the ferry dock in Bequia. [email protected].

Here is Noel's website: http://www.bequia.net/Noelstaxi/

On St. Vincent, I do not recommend Charley Tango although there are many that like him.