tipping at Sandals resorts

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2003, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know they say that tipping is not allowed at Sandals resorts but do the resorts really discourage it or is it left up to the guests. Other all-inclusive resort chains that I have stayed at say there is no tipping allowed but once you get there you get the impression that tips are "appreciated". I don't mind giving a little "extra" for good service but I'd like to know whether I need to bring small bills because I don't like to travel with a lot of cash.
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 02:45 PM

Hi, I always tip the maids and the bellboys for good service and, if I get good service at meals, I will leave a couple of dollars a day. The only time I had a problem was at Couples Negril. One day the maid (and one day only of a 9 day stay), the maid left the money back on the bed. I guess she was a fill-in for the regular lady.

But, I look at it this way, these people are giving me great service so I reward that. If they take it or not that's up to them, but I always offer.
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 01:22 AM

Sandals can be very strict about tips, to the point of firing staff who accept them. So do it by all means-- but do it very very discretely, out of sight of management types.
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 02:41 AM

Yes - Sandals are very strict about this. If a member of staff is found to have accepted a tip they CAN lose their job.
I've just returned from a Sandals and was told by a member of staff that Sandals use "mystery shoppers" (as many companies do). The "mystery shoppers" have offered tips to staff members to test if they accept them. I don't know what happened if they took the tip.
So DON'T tip. Sandals prohibit it. You can get people into trouble.
You can leave a gift for the maid (and a little note to prove its legit) but NO money.
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 09:46 AM

Sandals honestly doesn't want you to tip. However, I feel that the population where the resorts are located are poverty level and because the staff has always been good to us, we have always tipped. We do it quietly, though. We leave money on the nightstand for the maids and we slip a little something to the staff members when we take our drinks or when we are hugging them.