Reload this Page >

St. Thomas to St. John one day only

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 11:09 AM
Lisa

My husband and I will be in St. Thomas for a<BR>week, we want to spend a day in St. John.<BR>We are staying at the Morningstar. Please advise on what ferry to take, what to do there in such a short time, where to have breakfast and lunch? Any other info will be greatly appreciated.<BR>Thanks, Lisa

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 12:06 PM
Diane

Hi Lisa,<BR><BR>There is a ferry from Red Hook that will take you directly into Cruz Bay where the shops along the wharf and at Mongoose Junction are in walking distance.<BR><BR>You may want to get a map from the National Park Service and explore the island. If you like snorkeling, Trunk Bay should not be missed. It can also be reached by taxi. Taxies are located closse to the ferry dock. You may want to hire one for a tour of the island. There are some who specialize in that. Perhaps the concierge at the hotel could pre-arrnge that for you. Exploring or touring St. John should not be missed. It is breathtakingly beautiful.<BR><BR>You can get breakfast at the hotel as early as 7:00 A.M. I enjoyed lunch at the Lime Inn, but have heard good reports on Paradisio, Another thought if you decide to explore the island, is to get a picnic lunch packed at Morningstar Deli. They have very good picnic type foods.<BR><BR>You made a wise choice at Morningstar. Have a great trip. Have a great trip.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 04:19 PM
ff

breakfast at Chilly Billy's is not to be missed. Head over early and walk over the the Lumberyard. best breakfast in Cruz Bay. Take a taxi, if you haven't brought your rental car or rent a car for the day and just follow your nose to the wonderful beaches. You can get great lunch fixings at Katilady or stop at Greatful Deli in Red Hook for lunch fixings while waiting for the ferry (runs hourly) and picnic on one of the fabulous beaches. Avoid Trunk since it is pretty but can get mighty crowded and there's so many other beaches. The taxi drivers will return at a designated time if you are dropped off at the other beaches. Trunk and Cinnamon have taxi stands or you walk out to the road and wave one down. Ferry from Town is at 7, 9 and 11 but late in the day you'll come back through Red Hook. Car ferry is at Red Hook dock. If its a special lunch you might want to try the Caneel Bay buffet - expensive for lunch but lots to eat and skip a heavy dinner. Then walk down to Honeymoon Beach from the Caneel Terrace and it is delightful!

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 04:24 PM
Cathy

St. John is Loveley but the restaurants are expensive. I second the idea of taking a picnic lunch. You could e-mail the hotel or call to see if they would make up some box lunches for you. I would eat breakfast at the hotel since the national park may not open until 8 or 9 in the morning. Take a taxi to Red Hook and catch the ferry ($3 per person). The ferries to St. John run every hour(8, 9, 10, 11am, etc). The ferries back to St. Thomas run every hour until 11 at night, so that gives you plenty of time to relax. Just be aware that if you are at Trunk Bay on a cruise ship day, it will be crowded, but still nice - lockers, showers, food, $4 entry fee. St. John has a little shopping center called Mongoose Junction and some restaurants, but mostly it is a laid back natural beauty. I love the scenery, the beaches, and the snorkeling is great. This is a great place to lay on the beach, relax and swim - not much else other than water sports.<BR><BR>I would also suggest a one day trip to the British Virgin Islands. There are speed boat trips that go to Virgin Gorda and then do a snorkel stop and stop at and island for lunch. Virgin Gorda is a fantastic sight! Again this is really a sun, swim, snorkel trip, plus hiking and climbing the boulders at Virgin Gorda.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 04:59 PM
Mary

Cathy,<BR>I just want to differ with a couple of your points. The restaurants on St John are no more expensive than the restaurants on St Thomas. Your comment that "I would eat breakfast at the hotel since the national park may not open until 8 or 9 in the morning." is just silly. YOu can get breakfast at JJ's or Chilly Billy's right in Cruz Bay anytime after 7 in the morning. The beaches of the National Park don't "close". The only thing that closes may be the concessions at Trunk or Cinnamon.<BR>Lisa, I would strongly recommend renting a car for the day. Call in advance and arrange to be met at the ferry with your jeep. You'll be on your way in 10 minutes. You can get breakfast and then head out the North Shore road to explore the beaches. Go out to Coral Bay and have lunch at Shipwreck Landing. You can then make your way back stopping at more beaches. I'd stop at Cinnamon to snorkel out to the little cay. The snorkeling around the east side of it is spectacular!<BR>Have fun!

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 06:07 PM
Cathy

Mary:<BR><BR>Meow!! How catty!<BR><BR>I tend to be a more budget minded traveler. To me, the restaurants on St. John are a little more expensive than those on St. Thomas - at least the ones I have been to. I don't eat at the fancy restaurants on either island unless the food is really good. When I stay on St. Thomas, I stay at B and B's where delicious home cooked breakfasts are included, so I have never worried about where to eat breakfast, even when going off island. I have done the picnic option by stopping off at the Fruit Bowl in St. Thomas to pick up supplies. I enjoy eating lunch on the beach.<BR><BR>When I posted, I was simply seconding Diane's comments, because I have done the same thing. Your suggestions were also very good - breakfast at Chilli Billies sounds great, , but I did not appreciate the rude tone. <BR><BR>So, Lisa, to clarify my erroneous statements - access to the park is free, however use of the beach at Trunk Bay is regulated and you must pay a $4 user fee before you can access that beach. Most other beaches are free (annenburg bay has a small fee).<BR><BR>Again, Mary, your suggestions were good ( very much like ff's suggestions) but I did not appreciate your tone.<BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 04:44 AM
Joe

Your entrance fee to Trunk also covers entrance to Annenburg and that's the only entrance fee you pay. Since the roads run through the Park it never closes also the concessions at Trunk and Cinnamon do. Lunch at Vie's and a swim at her marvelous beach is also an option for good home cooking. When you pick up the map from the Park Headquaters you'll see that there is lots to do and see. Mongoose and Wharfside are the two shopping areas but a stroll through Cruz Bay and even take out at Joe's barbque is something many don't miss.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 04:57 AM
Lawren

Morningstar is closer to the Charlotte Amalie ferry but the first one isn't until 9AM. ($7 each way/45 minutes)<BR><BR>Yes breakfast at Chilly Billy's, Lunch at Skinny Legs. If you take the Redhook ferry back to St Thomas you will have time to eat dinner too (Asolore or Paradisio?).<BR><BR>Rent a car for the day as the taxis will add up in a hurry. If you are going to Trunk Bay (and you should) get there early.<BR><BR>Be forewarned though...St John will cast it's spell and you won't rest until you go back and spend a week there!

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 05:06 AM
Mary

Cathy,<BR>My apologies if my post sounded "catty" to you. There was certainly no "tone" intended, I only wanted to differ with you on a couple of points, that's all.<BR>I still don't think that the restaurants on St John are more expensive unless you only eat at places like Asolare or Paradiso. There are lots of moderate choices like the Fish Trap, or Cafe Roma and the barbecue from Uncle Joes is fantastic and one order is enough for two to split. <BR>Please, believe me when I tell you there's no "rude tone" to this post. Surely we can "agree to disagree" without being disagreeable.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 06:25 AM
denette

Lisa,<BR>Once you go to St.John, with any of the suggestions you receive on where to eat, etc., you will probably want to go again. I would suggest you go over the first part of your week so you could plan another day. St. John is absolutley beautiful with many beaches to explore/snorkle, much more so than St. Thomas and only one trip over will just wet your appetite for more.<BR>We have spent one week on both islands and St. John is the one for us, matter of fact when we vacationed with another family on St. Thomas(they thought they would be bored on St. John-we will never make that mistake again), we went to St. John two different days.Have a great time, and Safe Travel.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 02:58 PM
Lisa

Thanks to all that replied with great information. We can't wait to go.<BR>Lisa

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 03:47 PM
Cathy

Thank you Mary for the apology.<BR><BR>Lisa, I hope you have a great trip. I have been to all of the Virgin Islands and they are definitely a place you will want to visit again and again.