Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

St. Thomas, St. Maarten & Turks/Caicos driver & car?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be on the Ruby Princess which will be visiting these ports in 2 weeks. Looking to hire a car & driver for a day or afternoon for 4 passengers to take us to a couple beaches, sightseeing, etc. Will we have trouble booking one at the cruise terminal or should we make advance reservations. If so, any suggestions on how to book car & driver? thanks!
Old Dec 7th, 2010, 03:32 PM

On Grand Turk, you could use Grace Bay Car Rentals, just outside the cruise center. Here is the web site: http://www.gracebaycarrentals.com They respond to emails very quickly and will take a reservation without a monetary deposit. Having said this, I must tell you that there is very little to see on the island. Don't waste your money on a car rental or a ship-sponsored shore excursion! Of course, with a car rental,you drive your own car (on the left side of the road).

On St. Martin/St. Maarten, go with Bernard's Tours. I put all the contact info on my "formal night" thread. Just keep in mind that the group tour is a small bus. According to his web site, he does do private tours, which may be what you want.

Old Dec 7th, 2010, 03:46 PM

On St. Maarten, you can hire any taxi at the cruise ship dock. They will take you for the day around the island wherever you want to go or whatever you want to do.
Old Dec 8th, 2010, 04:56 AM

There will be plenty of taxi driver/guides waiting at the cruise ship docks in both St. Thomas and St. Martin - no need to make prior arrangements.
Old Dec 9th, 2010, 02:33 AM

At the dock in Sint Maarten just make sure that you take a properly licenced taxi.

There are a number of what are known as 'gypsy' taxis they are cheaper, but are not licenced, and in many cases uninsured. The police try to control them but do a poor job.

Deal with the guys in the orange shirts !