Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

St Thomas Resorts: Sugar Bay, Antilles Pt. Pleasant or Secret Harbour?

Old Jan 16th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Just finishing up planning a trip to St. John. We're booked at the Westin St. John for 5 nights, but need to leave there and stay 2-3 nights in St. Thomas before we leave.

Considering a few hotels - those listed above, plus the Marriott Frenchman (which appears to be packed - we could only get 2 nights here). Thoughts on how any of these vary?

We are a married couple, mid-30s, no children. Just looking for a nice pool that isn't too crowded, typically prefer smaller hotels. Thanks!
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 07:55 PM

i absolutely love secret harbour and think it would be perfect transition for you coming back from st. john. the others are all bigger and more happening.
sh has nice beach with good snorkeling. blue moon cafe, 3 meals, very good. not a great pool but there is one.
pool at sugar bay has a cool waterfall thing and is right next to their beach which i did not like all that much. small & crowded. snorkeling was ok though. long walk to beach/pool area from hotel which is giant. it is an ai.
frenchmans is big hotel style as well. nearer charlotte amalie than the others (which are near red hook). unreal good restaurant - havana blue. morning star section is smaller and looks more caribbean. have not been on their beach.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 10:12 PM
KVR

If your looking for a smaller hotel, the Wyndham is not what you'll want. The hotel is quite spread out with lots of walking from rooms, to main lobby. There are 99 steps down to the pool/beach/bar/restaurant. They do provide shuttles though if your willing to wait.

The pool area is very nice. The beach OK. On the small side with lots of rocks. The ocean floor is full of seagrass. It was great for snorkeling, but not for just swimming.

A friend sent me pics of her stay at the Best Western Emerald Beach, and we wished we had looked into that hotel better before picking the Wyndham.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 08:14 AM

We loved life at Sugar Bay with it's giant pool and waterfalls and never found the pool area to be crowded, although the hotel has 300 rooms, so it's not small. Point Pleasant has a good size pool. Their restaurant, Agave Terrace, was not my favorite however. I don't know about Secret Harbour's pool, although we had considered staying there as we heard they had marvelous sunsets.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

At this point I think we are only going to spend only 1-2 nights in St. Thomas. Hoping to be near the Ferry from St. John (I guess that is Red Hook) and pretty near shops/restaurants so we don't have to rent a car and can just take a cab for that day before we head to the airport.

Would this change anyone's recommendation?