Bahamas or Republic of Panama

Old Dec 23rd, 2013, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bahamas or Republic of Panama

I am trying to plan a trip would like any input on Bahamas vs Republic of Panama. I have never been anywhere remotely like these 2 destinations and am having a hard time deciding which I should choose for my vacation! Any advantages, disadvantages to either over the other?
Old Dec 24th, 2013, 03:31 AM

Wow! you couldn't have pick two more different locations and your question is way to broad. There are over 800 islands in the Bahamas alone and Panama is a country of over 29,000 sq. miles. In order for anyone to be of help you have to tell us more about yourself and the type of vacation experience you are seeking. When are you planning to travel? How long a trip? Where are you traveling from? What's your budget for airfare accommodations, food and activities (gee specific dollar amounts)? Hw many and age are the people in your party? what type of activities do you like? What do you dislike?

The more info you give us about your likes/dislikes the easier it will be to steer you in the right direction.
Old Dec 26th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

My best friend works for a company who offers insintive vacations. She has hit goal, and now we are able to choose between The Cove and Reef at Atlantis (Paradise Island, Bahamas) and Westin Playa Bonita Panama. Both are all expenses paid (flight, room and food). We are trying to get an idea as to what both destinations have to offer. I have only ever been to Hawaii and Mexico, and my friend has never traveled so this is is first for us both

Anyone who can give incite as to what both destinations have to offer would be appreciated. From what I can tell by looking at photos, Bahamas seems to be the more "tropical" of the two, where as Panama is more city life & exploring the town? It is the Pacific side of Panama so the beaches don't look as pretty looking at photos (compared to Bahamas).
Old Dec 27th, 2013, 06:49 AM

If you want a beach vacation, choose the Bahamas, though picking the right island and resort in the Bahamas is crucial. If you are very inexperienced travelers who have never been to the Caribbean, however, neither of these would be my first choice. It sounds to me as if you could be searching for bargain basement prices. I'm concerned you'll be disappointed. Mexico would be a much better choice.
Old Dec 28th, 2013, 10:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies We actually aren't searching for bargain basement prices though; we are deciding between The Cove and Reef at Atlantis (Paradise Island, Bahamas) and Westin Playa Bonita Panama. Both are all expenses paid (flight, room and food). Do you know anything about either of these resorts?
Old Dec 29th, 2013, 08:00 AM

Atlantis is a very expensive resort, and if you are looking at the AI plan, you have relatively limited dining options. It gets decidedly mixed reviews, but most big resorts fall into that category.

I think some of the best high-end resorts are in the Riviera Maya region of the Yucatan. The Fairmont Mayakoba is great, and if you don't travel internationally much, I think you'll be very pleased with the quality you get for price in Mexico.

Panama is an exceedingly interesting place, but not so much for a beach vacation. It's more interesting if you want to explore the rain forest and canal, less so for the beaches.
Old Dec 29th, 2013, 10:06 AM

If I understand the op correctly, she has been given an opportunity to have an all expenses paid vacation at one of two resorts. One is Atlantis in the Bahamas, the other is the Westin Playa Bonita in Panama. She was asking about the relative merits of those two options. OP, please correct me if I misunderstood.

Personally I love the beaches and people of the Bahamas, but I would choose Panama. It has much more diversity and many more options than just the beach/resort .
Old Dec 30th, 2013, 09:01 PM
Original Poster

@cmcfong, yes you are correct, those are our choices!
Thanks for the info...
Old Apr 19th, 2014, 09:55 AM

bahamas are arid, very sandy, no hills, few trees. atlantis is a super expensive disneyland type of resort, with water slides, aquariums, etc. will be hot & dry in summer/fall. in winter the ocean water cools down & many say is cooler than they would like for swimming & snorkeling. not cold but people usually want water in the low 80's & bahamas will be in low to mid 70's. doesn't sound like a lot but it makes quite a difference. this island is not like the other bahamas which are very quiet & have the deserted island feel with small sleepy towns.
panama is lush with mtns, has a distinctly tropical feel & often has high humidity. dec through march is the optimal time to visit with lower hummidity & little rain. you can easily tour rainforest, the canal & towns that are 100's of years old as well as enjoying the beach the resort is on. it is true that the beaches do not have the blindingly white sand you will find in bahamas but they are very nice.
personally i'd choose panama. i don't like big crowds & i prefer more "real" things to do/see as opposed to theme parks like atlantis.
hope this helps you decide