Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   St. Thomas or St. John w/wife and 7 month old (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/st-thomas-or-st-john-w-wife-and-7-month-old-527130/)

gmathew95 May 6th, 2005 10:06 AM

St. Thomas or St. John w/wife and 7 month old

I want to surprise my wife with a vacation to the Caribbean in early June. Challenge is we're taking a 7 month old. I wouldn't even be considering it other than the fact that our baby has a great tempremant and shouldn't be to fussy. Obviously, it will still be a lot of work but it's an experience we want to share together.

Having said that, can you recommend which island is the better option to stay at -- St. Thomas or St. John? And where to stay a hotel or villa? Budget is approx $150/night and with the baby I figure we'll primariily be lounging most of the time w/some minor exploring. Planning to be there for approximately 5 days.

As always, I come to this forum for knowledgeable advice and I always seem to get it when planning any of my trips. Thanks in advance!

gmathew95 May 7th, 2005 10:38 PM

by the way if you have any recommendations about whether or not to rent a car, please advise. thanks.

J62 May 8th, 2005 06:56 AM

I recently went to St. Thomas and stayed at Crystal Cove @ Sapphire Beach, booked through bestbeach.com. The location was great. Bldg A is the closest to the beach, Sapphire beach is beautiful. You are close to Red Hook (2min) with some good restaurants and a nice little supermarket (Marina Market).

Having the condo w/ kids was great. We had a studio one night (perfect for 3) and a 1br apt for the rest of the week. (better for 4) Re budget, keep in mind that many of the prices you see for hotels do NOT include resort fees or room tax. Be sure to ask when booking anywhere. The rate I paid included all those taxes & there was no resort fee at the condo.

You CAN spend $150/nt, but if you up that closer to $200 you have a higher likelihood of getting something on the beach (on St. Thomas).

I can't speak for room costs on St. John.

We took a couple of day trips to St. John - the ferry departs from Red Hook. If you are on either St. Thomas or St. John then definitely rent a car.

MIM04 May 8th, 2005 07:11 AM

Having lived in St Thomas for a long time. I would recommend St John. Also, I have a 7 month old right now too! I would not take her to St Thomas. I am taking her many other places in the Caribbean, but that will not be one of them. I would suggest a villa in St John. You do not have to rent a car, but I would assume you are bringing or renting a car seat, which you would not have in a taxi. I am going to the Caribbean at the end of the week and taking the Car Seat with me.

CaribbeanSoul May 8th, 2005 07:24 AM

Wherever you decide to go, definitely bring a car seat as the previous poster suggested. An absolute must, no question about it.

christiegr May 9th, 2005 09:29 AM

We have reserved a villa on St John for the first week in June.The company that we used is: www.vivacations.com..they have villas in all price ranges.

I have never been there yet..however I have done alot of research on St John...it looks to be a place to go if you like: lush,mountainous islands,not as developed as other places,2/3rds of it is a National Park,little nightlife,beautiful beaches,good snorkeling.

My family of 3 boys ages 10,7 and 2,my mom,me and husband are going.We are very excited and cannot wait. :)

Good luck planning your vacation!! ((R))

christiegr May 9th, 2005 09:34 AM

Also check out www.caribbeanvilla.com for last minute travel sales on villas.I recommend that you get one with A/C in the bedrooms..just in case its a little warm since you have a 7 mth old.Good luck!!!

pinabeach May 9th, 2005 10:30 AM

Check out Secret Harbour Beach Resort on St. Thomas. My sister has visited a couple of times with her three small children and had a great experience. All of the suites have kitchens, and the property has a beautiful sandy beach. http://secretharbourvi.com/