Suggestions for a Carribbean Honeymoon

Old Dec 19th, 1997, 08:36 AM
Mark Houghtaling

Suggestions for a Carribbean Honeymoon

We are planning a honeymoon for July 27-August 5 1998 and considering St.John's. Neither of us have been to the Carribbean so we would welcome suggestions from experienced travelers. We have heard St.John's is very nice but aren't sure whether it is a good honeymoon location. We want to spend romantic time together (sunsets,hammocks,drinks,etc.) but also want plenty of activity (hiking, snorkeling,diving, natural baths,etc). Do you recommend an All-inclusive or not? Were wondering about airline access to the islands also. We are coming from Houston, TX. We also welcome suggestions about other Carribbean locales. We are 27&30 yrs. old for your info. Anxiously awaiting your responses. Feel free to e-mail. Thanks in advance.

Old Dec 20th, 1997, 02:35 PM
Martha

I have only been to St. John for a day trip, but found it very romantic, snorkelling was terrific, and the national park there provides lots of opportunities for outdoor activities, hiking etc. We found that it was a "quieter" island, with not a lot of congestion and traffic that you find on other islands If you like a laid back attitude it is terrific.

I can't recommend places to stay on the island but back in November and October in this forum there were some recommendations (you can use the "Find" option in your browser to find these quickly by searching under John (not johns).

Have fun choosing an island. Some other great possibilities is Grenada or St. Kitts - both are very lush and tropical and again, more laid back.

Old Dec 27th, 1997, 09:36 AM
Barb

We've been to Aruba and loved it. It is very laid back with great diving, parties (if you want them), sunset cruises, golf, island trips, wonderful, white, clean beaches, friendly people, etc. It was great. The Bushiri Beach and Wyndham are great choices!

Nice weather (85 with a nice trade wind) and no rain for the 9 days we were there.

Old Dec 28th, 1997, 04:48 AM
Kyoub

We have just gotten back from our favorite island- Tobago. While we were there we checked out a new eco-resort on the island called Footprints. They showed us the honeymoon cottage and it looked great.
There is a bedroom with king bed, dining area, and a extra large bathroom with tub and garden shower.There is a private garden deck with a jacuzzi and plunge pool all enclosed for total privacy.
The resort sits on the forest edge as well as on a beautiful bay with a reef afew feet from the shore line. www.trinidad.net/footprints/
You can now fly into Tobago from Puerto Rico on American.
St.John is a really nice place to visit also. We did a day trip there so I don't know about accommodations. Both islands are very green and lush
but that time of year if it were me I think I would look for an island out of the hurricane belt.
If I can be of further help just e-mail me.

Old Dec 29th, 1997, 08:18 PM
Louis Dameson

Checkout www.guana.com. It is an unusual and delightful island for the area. Little Dix on Virgin Gorda is OK along with some other places. If you are fun loving and want to save some money, checkout www.cooper-island.com. Good diving available, good snorkeling down beach, good food, adequate rooms, and lots of boat people come and go. As a complete switch, consider the Big Island and checkout www.konavillage.com. While I have never worried about hurricane season, Hawaii avoids the problem.

Old Dec 29th, 1997, 11:26 PM
LRichter

Are you sure you want the southern CARRIBBEAN in July and August? It is very HUMID and can get uncomfortable. An alternative which combines the beauty of Carribbean turquoise water, but is not so humid is BERMUDA. Delta flys direct from Atlanta. Lots of upscale hotels and beautiful pink sand beaches. Many things to do and see. Renting a moped and tooling around the islands yourself is great fun. People are the nicest to tourists we have found. Great place to visit.