Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

St. Thomas/John Beaches...Trunk Bay, Coki, but then where?

Old Jan 12th, 1998, 09:34 PM
Israel Saari

My fiance and I are taking our honeymoon to St. Thomas (Bluebeard's Castle) in May. We're both looking forward to the snorkling. So far Trunk Bay (St. John) and Coki seem to be the number one choices. Are there anymore that compare? Also, how much is it to take the ferry and then "bus" to Trunk Bay from Thomas? Any info you have to help make this a memorable experience for us would be great. We're both a young but relaxed couple that would appreciate the quiet and non-commercialized areas the most. Thanks.

Old Mar 12th, 1998, 07:40 AM
Drew

Hi!
We just returned from St. Thomas yesterday and had a great trip. The snorkeling on St Thomas is so so but was good at Limetree beach and Megans bay. We rented a 20' motorboat at Delberts in Cruz bay in St John @ $200.00 and spent the day navigating St. John's beaches, easy entry to bays and coves. Just anchor and fall off the boat. Leinster Bay in St John is also a great choice for snorkelling. Save alot of $ by buying your gear before you go, rather than renting. Have a great time!

Old Mar 19th, 1998, 11:42 AM
Patrick

Trunk Bay is definiely not the bes place o snorkel on St. John. It can get vey crowded by early afternoon and the underwaer trail is really for a beginner. Almost all the other beaches on St. John have excellent snorkelng, especially the North Shore beaches in the National Park. Honeymoon Beach at Canel Bay rsort was one of our favorites- it is open to the public. There are small beaches along the North Shore Road between Hawksnest and Cinammon that have excellent snorkeling- you will see a few cars parkes along the road when you get near them. th ferry is about $2. The Safari jeeps on St. John are not expensive but you would probably enjoy the island more if you rented a car for the day.

Old Mar 21st, 1998, 06:38 PM
joel

Israel,
Ditto Patrick as to Trunk Bay. My suggestion would be to take the ferry over to Road Town in the British Virgin Islands. It's less than an hour away and opens the door to one of this hemisphere's main snorkling areas. You catch the ferry right along the quai in Charlotte Amalie, a short ride from your hotel. The ride is fabulously beautiful. It costs about (rough numbers) $30 per person. The BVI is English but the legal currency is the US dollar. From where the ferry docks it's an easy walk to the pier where the Patouche, a catamaran, docks. They go out on day and half day snorkling trips in the Sir Francis Drake Channel. They know all the snorkling spots on the uninhabited islands that dot the channel. My wife and I have been 3 times and every time was different. The areas they take you to are not frequented by others because you can only get to them by boat. The Patouche carries about a dozen people and maybe one or two will be experienced snorklers and usually one person can barely swim, but Frenchie and Claudia, who operate the Patouche, are experienced and very friendly. You can call them at 494-6300 from St. Thomas to set up the day you want to go. I promise you that you will love the ferry ride, encounter no problems, and have one hell of a good day snorkling. I recommend high SPF sport (water resistant) sunblock. Bring your passport and if you don't have one, get one. It's worth it.

Alternatively... take the Stormy Petrel out of Red Hook which is a 15 min cab ride from your hotel. It will take you (you guessed it) to the BVI (since that's where all the good snorkling is) just like the ferry does, but will go to 3 snorkling sites (not quite as good as the ones the Patouche goes to but better than what you can find in the USVI). You'll also see a place called The Baths on Virgin Gorda, BVI, which is nice.

Both the Patouche and the Stormy Petrel do a nice lunch and all the soft drinks or spiked punch you care to drink. Both were quite professional, but, as I've said, the Patouche is my hands-down favorite for congeniality and why take a motor craft when you can have the excitement and wide-open comfort of a catamaran. Please, please, please don't miss it.

Old Mar 21st, 1998, 06:39 PM
joel

Israel,
Ditto Patrick as to Trunk Bay. My suggestion would be to take the ferry over to Road Town in the British Virgin Islands. It's less than an hour away and opens the door to one of this hemisphere's main snorkling areas. You catch the ferry right along the quai in Charlotte Amalie, a short ride from your hotel. The ride is fabulously beautiful. It costs about (rough numbers) $30 per person. The BVI is English but the legal currency is the US dollar. From where the ferry docks it's an easy walk to the pier where the Patouche, a catamaran, docks. They go out on day and half day snorkling trips in the Sir Francis Drake Channel. They know all the snorkling spots on the uninhabited islands that dot the channel. My wife and I have been 3 times and every time was different. The areas they take you to are not frequented by others because you can only get to them by boat. The Patouche carries about a dozen people and maybe one or two will be experienced snorklers and usually one person can barely swim, but Frenchie and Claudia, who operate the Patouche, are experienced and very friendly. You can call them at 494-6300 from St. Thomas to set up the day you want to go. I promise you that you will love the ferry ride, encounter no problems, and have one hell of a good day snorkling. I recommend high SPF sport (water resistant) sunblock. Bring your passport and if you don't have one, get one. It's worth it.

Alternatively... take the Stormy Petrel out of Red Hook which is a 15 min cab ride from your hotel. It will take you (you guessed it) to the BVI (since that's where all the good snorkling is) just like the ferry does, but will go to 3 snorkling sites (not quite as good as the ones the Patouche goes to but better than what you can find in the USVI). You'll also see a place called The Baths on Virgin Gorda, BVI, which is nice.

Both the Patouche and the Stormy Petrel do a nice lunch and all the soft drinks or spiked punch you care to drink. Both were quite professional, but, as I've said, the Patouche is my hands-down favorite for congeniality and why take a motor craft when you can have the excitement and wide-open comfort of a catamaran. Please, please, please don't miss it.

Old Mar 27th, 1998, 10:38 AM
Bruce Fritzges

Try Sapphire Beach on the East End near Red Hook. Great snorkling right off the beach and a good party on Sunday afternoons. Have fun!
Bruce F