Reload this Page >

Need help obtaining birth certificate for passport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 01:38 PM
Meredith

My husband, who was born in this country, was adopted as a young child and raised in puerto rico. His adoptive parents may or may not have his birth certificate, but even if they do they will not give it to him. (They're not close.) We tried obtaining his original birth certificate from the state where he was born, but were given the run-around since his current name (from his adoptive parents) is not the name on his birth certificate. We're trying to obtain his birth certificate so he can get a passport. Does anyone have any other ideas of either how to get his birth certificate, or if he can get a passport without one?

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 01:49 PM
Sheli

Meredith:<BR><BR>Is there some way that you can contact (if you know) the agency/service/lawyer who assisted with the adoption? Perhaps they can help in terms of proving he is who he says he is through a legal name change, etc. (I'm reaching on this one!) They might have dealt with this before and can lend some help or insight.<BR><BR>Have you tried asking his adoptive parents? I know you said they are not close...but it might not hurt to try...the worst is that your situation has not changed, the best is that they comply and hand over the document. (I would think it is his property anyway, since he is an adult.<BR><BR>Hope you get this resolved. There has to be a way to obtain a passport if you are adopted! Something just doesn't seem right about it.<BR><BR>Sheli

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 02:06 PM
anon

It looks like you can get a passport without a birth certificate by providing other documentation as described here... http://travel.state.gov/passport_obtain.html

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 02:22 PM
alexander

If you have other proof of citzenship, like adoption papers, etc. you can have a judge declare that your husband is who he say he is (because of the name change and the adoption.) If your husband has been legally representing himself as John Doe, and that's his adopted name, it shouldn't be a problem.<BR><BR>My father needed to do this because of a clerical error on his 1932 birth certificate. Without that judicial declaration, he couldn't get a passport.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 04:55 AM
vickie

I'm adopted and did not have a problem obtaining my "adopted" birth certificate. They keep those records at the county courthouse. If your husband was adopted in the U.S. he should be able to contact the county courthouse in the state he was born or adopted in and for about $10 they will send him a certified copy of his "adopted birthcertificate". As for the real, original birthcertificate, it took my years and redtape before I was able to obtain that.<BR><BR>Good luck