Reload this Page >

St. Thomas and car rental

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 08:01 AM
vickie

Can anyone give recommendations on a car rental company in St. Thomas. Also, having never been to any of the Virgin Islands, are there ferries from St. Thomas to St. John that carry passengers AND their cars?<BR><BR>Thanks!

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 08:06 AM
Susan

Vickie-<BR>Yes there are. I know that fee is higher though, and I think it costs between $30-$40 per vehicle.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 08:40 AM
Larry

Vickie-<BR>Do not rent from Budget. My wife and I rented from them last August and when we had a flat tire on Saturday night, we found out that they do not have any emergency services available on weekends and after hours. I understand that Dependable Car Rental has a good reputation.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 10:12 AM
chazz

We recently rented from Avis on St. Thomas and had no problems. They had a very good promo rate at the time.<BR><BR>The "people" ferry to St. John is $6 RT per person. There are 3 car ferries that are $27 RT, including up to 3 people. One "nicer" car ferry charges $40.<BR><BR>By the time you factor in using taxis or renting a vehicle on St. John, it's probably a good deal to take your car over there. HOWEVER - some rental agencies do not allow their vehicles on the ferry. Also, the last car ferry back is at about 6 or 6:30 pm, while the non-car ferries run until 10-11.<BR><BR><BR>

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 08:57 AM
Schultz

I would recommend Discount Car Rental. Geraldinne & Al are good people to deal with, have nice cars and allow them over on the ferry to STJ. They pick you up and drop you off at the airport. Makes that a whole lot easier.<BR><BR>Schultz

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 02:47 PM
Glen

A couple of people that I have conversed highly recommend Dependable Car Rental (http://www.dependablecar.com/). I am going to St John in July and I have debated the issues of a weekly rental in St Thomas vs a daily rental at the Westin and 2-wheel drive vs 4-wheel drive etc. and at this point I am thinking of going the 4-wheel drive day by day rental as some days we will go off to BVI etc and will not need a car.<BR>