St. Martin with kids this Xmas?

Jun 8th, 2004, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

St. Martin with kids this Xmas?

After hours on phone with Delta, only possible destination xmas week using points was St. Martin. (traveling with 2 kids - 8 and 6) Most of the places I'm reading about and researching are way too expensive (Cap Juluca) and/or are not kid friendly. Grand Case Beach Club looked good but is very expensive for one bedroom w/ sofa pullout.

Would love to get your insight into kid-friendly resorts on St. Martin or Anguilla (or anywhere else that's easily accessible from St. Martin). My husband is "all about the deal" and would like to keep this 7 night trip under $3000 (yeah, right). I'll work on him later once I find the right place...thanks in advance- fodorites totally helped us plan our 10 year anniversary trip to Costa Rica in January - now I know who to ask!
Jun 9th, 2004, 07:06 AM

With children, my two main suggestions would be either Grand Case Beach Club or Royal Islander (on the Dutch side). Bear in mind, however, that Christmas is THE most expensive time to visit SXM, so it's not likely you are going to find any sort of good deal at any resort facility on the island.
Jun 9th, 2004, 07:39 AM

Christmas is always the most expensive time to visit St. Maarten.
The hotel rates are at their highest.
Most resorts on St Maarten are kid friendly. The nicest spot is the Maho Hotel area...Maho Hotel, Royal Islandder, and La terrasse... all are within walking distance..there is lots to do and see in the area...
try checking out some of the discount web sites
cheapcaribbean.com comes to mind.
try to get a package deal but remember, as was said, it is the height of the high season.

Jun 9th, 2004, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

THanks to both of you for your help. Grand Case is sold out, Maho only has rooms starting at more than $600, and that's without food! Royal Islander appears to have changed to Pelican something or other and was panned on tripadvisor (not rated on fodors). Please let me know if you meant someplace else. I have called over 10 places and all are sold out that week. Have a reservation in Anguilla at PRincess Heights but it's quiet and no restaurant- must have reservation for all 7 nights at local places- hard to do with kids. Not encouraged, but please do let me know if you have any insight. Thanks! Jill
Jun 9th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

It's me again- just got a loft at L'Esplanade in Grand Case- got 5.0 on Fodor's, it just doesn't have its own beach. Anyone know if it's easy enough to bring kids to the beach?
Jun 9th, 2004, 02:49 PM

L'Esplanade is a fabulous hotel
http://www.lesplanade.com/
I am not sure how it is set up for kids but you shouldn't have any trouble. you have to walk down steps to get to the beach. The beach is nice and quiet.
I hope you are planning on renting a car. that is the beat way to do st maarten. then you can travel every day to a diferent beach, different areas, different activities, if you want.
Jun 13th, 2004, 07:35 AM

Our son who is now 21 has been going with us to SXM since he was a babe in arms. We've stayed almost everywhere on the French side by looking in the brochures and focusing on those that allowed kids free with adults. We've stayed at Mecure Simson, Anse Margot, Nettle Bay Beach Club, Laguna (all in Nettle Bay, Hotel Beach Plaza in Marigot, Grand Case Beach Club, and L'Hoste on Orient Beach. All of those hotels except Hotel Beach Plaza have kitchenettes so it's possible to make snacks/meals for the kids. HBP had a fridge. There are many kid-friendly places to eat and meals out do not have to be expensive. Try the lolos or rib shacks in Grand Case...chicken, ribs, salads..very casual. We have always taken a soft-sided cooler with us and pack it with fruit, drinks, ham, cheese, baguettes for picnics on the beach. Most hotels have an ice machine so you don't need freezer packs.
Jun 13th, 2004, 07:40 AM

Fogot to say...nice shallow calm beach in Grand case. Orient Beach has calm areas and parts where the waves are really fun to body surf. We bought our son an inexpensive boogie board and he had a ball with it. I also used to go to the dollar store here and get bags of toy soldiers or farm animals/ trucks etc and he had fun building sand villages. There is a butterfly farm at Orient, you can drive up Pic Paradise and check out the ruins of the French fort in Marigot. There is also a zoo in Philipsburg but we've never been.
Jun 13th, 2004, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

That's great info. Thanks so much for your input.