First time to Puerto Rico

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2015, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My gf and I are planning a trip to PR either at the end of February or the end of May. This is the first time for either of us going anywhere in the Caribbean. We like the idea of a resort and or nice hotel. But are open to ideas of course. We are planning a 7 day trip and want to relax with a few excursions. We like variety in where we eat and was wondering where those who have experience in traveling there would suggest? I just am not sure if we should stay in certain resorts because of how far they seem to be from anywhere close by to eat or shop etc.
Old Oct 20th, 2015, 03:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
The Condado area of San Juan is a great area to stay because you can walk to many restaurants. We used to stay all the time at the Caribe Hilton, which is nice, but set a little off to the side. We stayed more recently at the Marriott and found it to be a very nice resort and easily walkable to many restaurants.
Isle Verde is another area with some nice resorts. I have not stayed there, but have been to the El San Juan for d
dinner.

We were at the Marriott over new Years this past year.

Off the top of my head, we had a great dinner at Oceano.
Across the street and diaganol from the marriott was a spanish restaurant and a crepe restaurant. Both were very good.

We also booked tours through the marriott to take us to Fajaro. Our favorites were the biolumescent kayak tour and the catamaran tour.

You can take a taxi downtown and walk around for the day.
Old Oct 20th, 2015, 03:23 PM

Hoping tom42 sees your post as he travels there quite frequently and I believe he stays in Isle Verde.
Old Oct 20th, 2015, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Yeah it would be great if he responded. This is my first post and I messed up and didn't tag Puerto Rico to it. Can anyone recommend a good place to go horse back riding as well?
Old Oct 21st, 2015, 06:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Rand - if you do a search of my name, you should find a number of comparisons between Isla Verde and Condado. If you want to be in an area with places to eat and shop close by those would be the two main resort areas in the San Juan area. You could also stay in Old San Juan - which would give you many dining and shopping options within walking distance but you would be giving up staying right on the beach.

My recommended hotels in each area:

Condado - Renaissance La Concha and Marriott Stellaris

Isla Verde - Ritz Carlton, El San Juan Hotel, Intercontinental
Old Oct 21st, 2015, 09:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We prefer the Isla Verde area because we are beach people and find the beach nicer there.
Old Oct 21st, 2015, 10:52 AM

The beach is nicer there but I must say last time I went to San Juan, I stayed a few days at La Concha before moving to Isla Verde and the ocean was a lot of fun - there is more surf in Condado versus Isla Verde, which is pretty calm. It was fun to ride the waves.
Old Oct 21st, 2015, 05:49 PM

Rand, I think the one we went to was Carabali. The Marriott took us there. My daughter loved riding the horses. The horses were pretty easy going and we did a two hour ride.
Old Oct 28th, 2015, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Hey thanks for the responses everyone. Girlonthego when you rode horses there did they have anything for more advanced riders? I ask because her and I are both pretty good riders.
Old Oct 28th, 2015, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Tom we both are from Huntington Beach CA so we definitely like the beach. We won't spend whole days there but definitely will spend some time. So we will probably do some boogey boarding. So would one spot be better for that? And I'm assuming either spot would be good for hanging out on the beach. If I'm wrong with that assumption please feel free to let me know everyone.
Old Oct 29th, 2015, 05:16 AM

The Condado area would definitely be better for boogey boarding. It has more surf than the Isla Verde area. The Isla Verde beach is pretty calm. Either is good for hanging out on the beach. If you are looking at Condado, the Marriott Stellaris and Renaissance La Concha have decent beachfront.