Notices

St. Martin Crime (Revised)

Jan 26th, 2012, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

St. Martin Crime (Revised)

Please give your advice: in view of the frequency of auto break-ins, would it be wiser to leave everything on the car (including the trunk) unlocked, with nothing of value in it?
Jan 27th, 2012, 05:27 AM

Personally, I never anything of any value in the car - visible, or invisible !

When I park at night, I always do so in a well lit area, and lock the car. If it does get stolen, the first question that will be asked by my insurance company, and by the police and, if rented, by the rental company, will be "was the vehicle locked ?"

During daylight hours I usually leave my car unlocked, but in areas where there are plenty of other people around, and with at least the front windows partly wound down, in order to make it very obvious that the only thing worth botherlng to steal is the car itself !

By far the most thefts of complete cars (or parts) take place at night, and by far most thefts of contents take place during daylight hours, frequently when the driver and passengers are on a beach or in a bar or restaurant and have left 'tempting' items on view.

The above system has worked OK for me - so far - for some years since I have been living on the island !
Jan 27th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Original Poster

David SXM: Thank you for your advice. You have been a valuable source of information to travelers to SXM. I have read comments about car rental firms which have purposely damaged locks on the cars they rent out to be able to increase charges when they are turned in. Which ones would you recommend using? With six people in our party and the narrow roads, would it be better to rent an SUV or two smaller vehicles?
Nov 9th, 2012, 01:18 PM

Old thread but we made our reservation with Hertz and had absolutely no problems. Just be very meticulous when reviewing for damage to the vehicle as most will be covered in dents, dings, scrapes, loss of pain, etc. Also, we rented a Jeep Wrangler and turned out to be the best option for us as the roads are very narrow and poorly constructed in some parts.

Search this Thread