St. Martin bus travel

Mar 25th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

St. Martin bus travel

Hi, we'll be in St. Martin on a cruise stop, want to go to Marigot from Phippsburg via the local bus, but also want to go to a beach as well. Are there busses that leave Marigot to beaches, or must we travel back to Phippsburg to catch a bus to the beach?

Thanks!
Mar 25th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Also can anyone recommend the best beach to visit that is on a bus route?
Mar 25th, 2007, 05:17 PM

I've been to Marigot and I have to say it's not much. I always thought it was going to be better. I used to be a crew member on a cruise ship, so I've been there lot's. I made it once to Marigot and never went back. First of all it is so much more expensive. It's in euros not american. So add another quarter do every dollar. Also there was no beach there, just a harbor with boats. I think the best place is the public beach really close to where you get off of the cruise ship. It's only 3 dollars to get there by taxi or ferry. Alot of people like it because you can lay on the beach and shop. It's really beautiful there.

Hope that helps, if your still wanting to go to Marigot there is a shuttle from the cruise ship terminal for around $10 each. IT's possible to go and come back in the time you have and go to the beach.

Good Luck

Theresa
www.nomadwannabe.com
Mar 26th, 2007, 09:08 AM
RAB

The beaches are not on bus routes. Busses are vans, schedules are random, and as a day visitor you would be better off with a taxi if you don't want to do one of the cruise ship excursions. You could easily go to Marigot, which is worth visiting, and one or more beaches. Orient is probably most popular, but in my view over-developed, but you can take your clothes off there - or look at others who do. Dawn and Maho are a couple of other popular ones. But the beach at Philipsburg, where the cruise ships dock, is quite nice and very convenient - you can even walk to it if you want.
Mar 27th, 2007, 04:38 AM

If you are on a cruise shop, do not try to take buses. The buses run erratically at best and to get from one point to another is very time consuming because they stop to pick up and discharge people every 5 minutes.
Also the buses travel the main roads and the beaches are a good walk off the main road.
It is best to hire a taxi driver at the cruise ship docks when you arrive. They are very good and very well informed and can arrange to take you to all the spots you mentioned.
Apr 13th, 2007, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, I've actually been to Dawn beach before and wanted to try something different.

I'm curious, why the advice not to take busses? I ALWAYS take the local busses whenever I can, wherever I travel anywhere in the world, I've taken them all over the islands and never had a problem, they're much cheaper and more colorful than taking a taxi, and a fraction of the cost of hiring a driver!

I've since gotten info that the busses do in fact run right by Mullet Beach and are on the minivan route, if anyone else is interested. They leave from Back Street in Philipsburg. Same with the busses to Marigot. The cost is $1.50-$2.00 each way.

Search this Thread