Notices

St Martin

May 17th, 2016, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

St Martin

Hello,
Trying to decide where to stay in St Martin. We ae a family of 4. Daughter is 23 and son is 20. I have narrowed it down to Coco Beach Club in Simpson Bay Or The cliffs in Cupecoy Beach. Which area is nicer, safer etc. We are a little concerned about airplane noise and is it possible for the kids to walk into town??
Thanks for your help!
May 19th, 2016, 06:12 AM

There are definitely areas to avoid at night. Like Sandy beach from what I've been told by locals.

Cupecoy is not a seedy area, it is heavily built, with big resorts. Close to malls and the golf.
Simpson bay is the same. And yes, there should be noise... airport is next door, but flights arrive and leave in the north, not going south.
I love the French side, but don't like the Dutch side - too heavily built, too many resorts, too mnay shops, jewellers, ... too 'american' for me ;-)
French side is goergeous : dilapidated, small hotels, small restaurants, nothing well organized... like home
They speak english on both sides. Dutch side is supposedly speaking Dutch but I encountered a lot of them who didn't and were only english-speaking !

http://www.fodors.com/community/cari...e-postcard.cfm
May 19th, 2016, 11:25 AM

My husband and I just got home from St. Martin. We stayed in Grand Case and it was great. We rented a car and drove to a lot of beaches but we walked to diner just down the beach. Although we didn't take our kids (same age as yours) this time, we often talked about bringing them next time. So, with that said, Simpson Bay is definitely a busy place. The kids would probably like it. Cupecoy is not far from it but it does have the mall very close. Have you thought about Orient Bay? It is a happening place with many restaurants right there also. Kids would probably love it. If you rent a car (which I advise), you can go explore any of the beaches, Philipsburg, Simpson Bay, Pinel Island, etc. during the day and go to dinner close to your hotel (so you can enjoy some drinks and not have to drive). I wouldn't want to drive at night on St. Martin. The other thing about Orient Bay is that they have a lot of stuff to do right there on the beach. Water sports, etc.

Search this Thread