Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

St Maarten or St Martin? And hotel recomendation!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11th, 2010, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're two couples, 60ish, looking for a combination of quiet beach time and fun exploring!
Love Bermuda for it's charm, Puerto Rico for fun things to do, Aruba for beaches and weather. (and all of the above for friendly people!) Can't decide which side of the island to be on, and would love suggestions for a hotel right on a gorgeous beach, not too expensive (under $225/night). We plan on renting a car. We'll be going in early April, and would love any ideas and suggestions for our two-week vacation!!!
Old Dec 11th, 2010, 08:54 AM

I would definitely recommend St. Martin. If you do a search on my name, you'll find my trip report of our recent trip. It's odd - the island is not large, but I sure noticed a difference in the 2 sides, and we loved the French side.

I can't really advise on hotels, since we rented a studio through VRBO.com. You might want to consider something similar. We're in the same age bracket as you, and we find that it's great to have access to a kitchen, even if we don't cook much while we're away.
Old Dec 11th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

thanks Susan -- what's the biggest difference between the two sides? Aruba travelers much prefer the Dutch side due to the friendliness of the people.
Old Dec 11th, 2010, 04:03 PM

Check out Mary's Boon a boutique hotel with an interesting history on Simpson Beach.....or a condo - I stayed in a condo called Unforgettable which was fabulous and would be spectacular for 2 couples....also on Simpson Beach. I've heard La Plantation on the french side is nice (sounds like it may be in your price range)....The dutch side is much more built up.....I prefer to stay on the dutch side - and if you have a car - you can eat/beach/explore the french side....you'll get many opinions from various folks on this board so if you have specific questions ask away.....good luck with your search!
Old Dec 11th, 2010, 06:34 PM

I found that the Dutch side was much more built up and more 'American'. The cruise ships arrive on the Dutch side and Philipburg (the capital) seemed to be mostly duty free stores, all selling the same stuff. Lots of timeshares, more high rises, that kind of thing.

We found the people were friendly on both sides of the island.

I've heard that there is more 'toplessness' (if that's a word!) on the French side of the island. One end of Orient beach has a nude beach resort. None of that bothers me (and in fact, I always feel so much better about my body when I'm on a topless beach!).

The whole island though is not large, so if you stay on one side, you can easily go to the other. We found that our bank cards didn't work on the French side - we had to use our credit card to get euros. So we drove to Cupecoy twice to an ATM machine there and were able to get USD from the machine.

Hard to believe I was there just over a week ago!
Old Dec 12th, 2010, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

BellaClaire, I thought Mary's Boon looked just right for us, but there was one comment on the NOISE from the airport..????
How do I find "Unforgettable"?

Susan, I'm sure we'll end up on a "clothing optional" beach at some point! "Toplessness" doesn't bother me either, but I'll be having a one-way conversation with my husband! lol
Old Dec 12th, 2010, 05:46 PM

Hi Whammy77 - you can find Unforgettable here....

http://www.caribbeandays.com/search.aspx?isl=17&beds=2

I found them to be extremely knowledgeable - not pushy.

Both Mary's Boon and Unforgettable are on Simpson Beach...Unforgettable is further down. The condo is top notch....both bedrooms have king size bedroom and fully bathrooms - there is also a full kitchen - washer dryer - it's on the first floor with a walk out to a big/lovely patio - look left and the pool is 20 steps away - and the beach the same. The condo has wi-fi/flat screen TV's - in the living room and both bedrooms.....

I stayed at Mary's Boon as well. they have a nice seaside restaurant and an honor bar......down the beach further is a lovely beach bar - with wonderful food called Karacter.

Okay - for the airport noise...I was not bothered by it at all. ( and I was originally a bit concerned about it as well) Planes stop flying around 9pmish - and they didn't wake me up either. I found myself going to the top floor of our building (4 floors) and watch the KLM and Air France plane come in/out - the condo is further down.....noise was not a factor....
At Mary's Boon - yes - you are closer - here too - it did not bother me - interfere - etc....... If you do stay at Mary's Boon - I suggest you not stay on the lower level...I didn't like it down there.....

Mary's Boon is a charming boutique hotel. Unforgettable is a top notch condo.....
Simpson Beach is not loaded with hotels or high rises...There are 2 hotels - Mary's Boon and The Horny Toad Guesthouse (right next to the condo) private residences and other condos.....

If you have other questions, please let me know.....I'd be glad to let you know my experience...we ate at some great restaurants and went on some great excursions too.
Old Dec 13th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

BellaClaire, Looks like we might be staying at Unforgettable!
So, now I have 4 months to find good places to eat, shop, fun things to do! My husband and I love to just on the beach, enjoying sun and shade, reading, swimming, for at least half the day.The other couple is from Australia, and not as much into the beach. so, we tend to do a lot of exploring! I'm wondering how difficult the zip line is for us older folks! lol I've always wanted to try it.
Maybe we'll do a day trip to another island if it's not too rough. would love to hear of any ideas! Can you recommend a car rental company?
Old Dec 13th, 2010, 05:00 PM

Hi Wammy....We truly loved Unforgettable......Here is my opinion on places to go and places to eat...

Places to go....
***Take the ferry to Pinel Island (Cul De Sac) on the french side of the island - the ferry is $7.00 round trip. You can hike around Pinel in about 30 minutes or so...they have great restaurants and the water is calm and lovely.

***Take a catamaran to Prickley Pear (the condo people on island can help you)...it's a fabulous ride over and Prickley Pear is pristine......it's a part of Anguilla

***Take a ferry to Saba...the jewel of the Caribbean...Saba doesn't have beaches - it's a volcanic island...here you can climb mt scenary - at your own pace...have lunch - hike a bit...it's a magical place.....

To catch the ferry/catamaran - go to Pelican - about a 5 minute drive from where you are staying

***shop! Phillipsburg is duty free and loaded with shops - yes the cruise ships dock here.....Marigot is quaint as all get out....with a higher end mall....make sure to go to both....

***take a bottle of wine and check out Mullet Beach or Cupecoy for sunset - very pretty - you'll see the lit up cruise ships leaving (you can watch this from unforgettable too - you'll be amazed by the "yachts" in your backyard.....

***Explore St. Martin - go to Orient Beach - Kakaos/Bikini Beach Bar - you can parasail here or just hang out....check out all of the beaches.....there are plenty to check out....

Places to eat...I've eaten at the following....the condo people on island can help as well (as can others on this board)

La Gondola - dutch side - near cupecoy -dinner
Antoines - dutch side - phillipsburg - seaside - lobster thermidor - also check out Holland House and Le Escargot - both in Phillipsburg

Marios - make reservations now - near Marigot

Grand Case - too many restaurants to mention....but go to a Lolo's for great Bar B Que - Taste of the Town

for lunch/breakfest - check out Mr. Busby's beach bar on Dawn Beach - Karacter (walk from Unforgettable....

Also check out Lee's Roadhouse and Pineapple Petes....there are so many restaurants to check out.....

Good Luck - should you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.....
Old Dec 13th, 2010, 05:07 PM

I forgot to comment on car rental...Caribbean Days can suggest a car rental...they'll offer 10% off - and they will pick you up from the airport and take you to the condo and explain stuff....there are many car rentals to choose from...I rented from Thrifty/Dollar - yet - many people have been complaining about them on this board...I've not had a problem and dealt with a guy named Vic Dabey...yet as you'll read - many other people had problems with them...so you might consider talking to the condo people.
Old Dec 14th, 2010, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

So many great ideas! Thanks! We're also looking into a condo at Coco Beach -- less $$$. A condo seems to be the best deal for two couples for two weeks!
Are any of the restaurants you listed outdoors? We love Aruba for the outside/beachfront places!
What's the dress code? Usual Caribbean casual? (I don't feel a need to dress up!) I like shorts and a tee during the day, tank top and gauchos or cropped pants at night. Are the nights cool enough to need a sweater or wrap? Is it hot and humid with a breeze like Aruba? This is so exciting to be going to a new place!!!!
Old Dec 14th, 2010, 04:48 PM

Hi Whammy....Coco's is right next to Mary's Boon - if I remember correctly....we liked Coco's too..the one issue was the pool was in the back...at Unforgettable - you could be lounging by the pool looking at the ocean.....

Casual is fine -although April should be hot - I always take a wrap/sweater just in case.

The following restaurants can accomodate outdoor seating

Antoines and Holland House in Phillipsburg
Mr. Busby's is all outdoor
Lolo's in Grand Case are all outdoor
Lee's Roadhouse
There is another restaurant called Paradise View -= on the french side - on the way to Orient that I would go to for lunch - the views are incredible!

Good Luck...there are a ton of other restaurants...the local condo people are quite helpful as well..wish we would have used them earlier!
Old Dec 15th, 2010, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Hi Bellaclaire! We're booked for Unforgettable first two weeks in April!!!!Whoopee!
Thanks for all your suggestions -- they will be so helpful. I'm sure I'll have more questions!
Do have any favorite shops for fun casual clothes?
Something fun to bring home to the grandkids? (ages 3,6)
Hard to make myself think of Christmas when I'm so excited about St Maarten!
Windy
(grandkids call me Whammy -- both daughters had the same due date 6 yrs ago and it was def. a 'double whammy'!)
Old Dec 15th, 2010, 05:43 PM

Hi Whammy....that's funny about your daughters - how'd you manage! And congratulations too.

I really believe you will love Unforgettable......there are tons of shops to browse through.....some nice places in the Maho area....and really nice in Marigot.....now - for island wear...here is a tip I learned several years after going to St. Maarten several times- there is a place called Rima's (I think that's the spelling) in Phillipsburg - near the parking by the salt pond - it's a stretch of parking...you'll know what I mean when you see it.....there is a big yellow building - this is where all of the island wear is.....not as much fun as haggling with the lovely vendors in the markets.....but tons of "stuff"....also - I mentioned Paradise View above as a restaurant suggestion...the restaurant part is somewhat new...used to be a row of small little shops with a rum tasting bar.....they added the restaurant - bonus!
Old Dec 19th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

So many great tips and ideas! Thank you!!!
Bellaclaire, I'm wondering if you could leave the condo open at night to hear the water? Are there secure screens or just regular ones? Our room was broken into during the night last year (in Bermuda, of all places!)and we realize that crime is now an issue everywhere, too bad. Is there a safe in the office to use? Don't mean to sound paranoid, just checking options!!
Old Dec 19th, 2010, 03:39 PM

Hi Whammy.....there is a safe in the bedroom....there is also a guard who walks around the place once per hour.....and he is on guard the whole night.....that said....we did not leave the windows open at night - they are sliding glass doors.....the master bedroom has sliding glass doors to the patios...the living room and dining room have sliding glass doors....the other bedroom has windows - but I don't recall if there were screens in there.....During the day we would tie the curtains back and open all of the doors and let the breeze come in - it was wonderful! At night we would sit on the patio and watch the yachts - watch the cruise ships leave....have dinner on the patio.....but when it was time to turn in - we locked ourselves in......even when we stayed in a gated community in the Dawn Beach area - Villa Suzanne - we locked ourselves in......just to be safe......
Old Dec 19th, 2010, 03:43 PM

let me clarify -the guard walks around the place once per hour from like 7pm(ish) to 7am (ish)...but there is a guard 24 hours at the entrance into Las Arenas...the name of the whole building.
Old Dec 19th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

Too bad, isn't it, that we have to be so locked in -- I LOVE falling asleep to the sound of the waves. Here on Cape Cod, it's not the same any more -- we used to leave the house unlocked and the keys in the car! (actually, maybe that was about 20 years ago! lol)
Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

Happy New Year!
BellaClaire, did you take a laptop with you? Wondering if there's internet access at Unforgettable.