Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Rental car agencies near cruise terminal in St. Maarten?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2010, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would like to book an automatic rental car for 4 people for 1 day near the cruise terminal where our Princess ship will dock in December for 1 day. IIRC, they drive American style, correct? We want to go to Orient Beach and Marigot. Any suggestions of good agencies? Thanks!
Old Aug 21st, 2010, 04:20 PM

I don't think there are any car rentals near the terminal - I could be wrong....probably better off to hire a taxi that will take you wherever you want to go - and they will stay with you for the day.....the rental cars are near the airport - and I don't suggest you go there to rent one.....would be costly - plus the bridge could go up and traffic gets real slow.....
Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 03:03 AM

You will be FAR better off using a taxi. It will save you time and hassle, and cost only a little more.

There is at least one car rental office near the cruise ship terminal, but DEFINITELY take a taxi. The driver, if required, will stay with you all day, and will know every pothole in the road, and - more importantly - where to park in Marigot, so that you don't waste time searching for a space yourself !

He will probably deliver you to Bikini Beach, which is in the center of Orient Bay - if not, ask him to do so. It is also handy for the small shopping area at pretty Orient Village where there are also a variety of restaurants, if you don't want to eat lunch with your 'toes in the water'.

From the port in Philipsburg to Orient Beach and back from Marigot to the dock, bridge openings are irrelevant, as you will not cross any !
Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 03:06 AM

One other thing, if you DO decide to rent a car, they are ALL automatic, and we drive on the right side of the road, as in the US.
Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 01:14 PM

there are several car rental agencies right there at the cruise ship terminal
Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 04:50 PM

DavidSXM...my point about a bridge opening was if they drive to the airport to rent a car. I did not realize there is a car rental company near the cruise ship port. Finally - you and I agree on something - take a taxi! That said - they've dropped me off at Kakao's more than Bikini Beach.
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 02:50 AM

Hi BellaClaire

MOST of the taxis go to Bikini Beach (my local pub) partly because it is marginally more central than Kakao, but more likely because the owner (who had her 53rd birthday yesterday !) offers all the taxi drivers from the larger of the two companies (the guys in the ORANGE shirts) operating from the cruise ship dock, a free Thanksgiving Dinner with their wives / girlfriends etc. every year, and cheap drinks all the year round - I just wish she would do the same for me !
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 01:55 PM

take a taxi
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 09:07 AM

A Taxi is a Great Way to Explore the Island, but if you decide to rent a car, try Leisure Car Rental St. Maarten. [email protected]
Old Mar 10th, 2011, 05:28 PM

We are coming to St. Maarten on a cruise and need to get to a marina 15-20 minutes from port then wanted to go do the tree thing at Loterie Farm. There are 7 of us total. Would you still take a taxi to get everyone around or rent? I have read some nerve racking stories of car rentals on here and wonder if I should expect a bad experience, but because of the number of people to get around and the places, I thought it might be more prudent to rent. What would you advise?
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 01:59 AM

laht

As there are 7 of you, it would, in my view, be far better (and probably more cost effective) to take a taxi.

A large number of the taxis at the cruise port are in fact 'people carriers', and ONE of these would accomodate your entire party.

It would probably cost less to hire a taxi for the entire day than renting 2 cars, would save the check out and check in time if you were to rent, and would be far less hassle. I suspect that the price might be a bit negotiable with the taxi despatcher.

Added plusses will be that the driver will know exactly where you want to go, will be aware of the bridge opening times, road works / diversions and possible road closures. He will also be able to park the vehicle more easily than you could 2 rental cars.

You will see more, have a more relaxed day, and be able to spend more time doing what you want to do.
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 05:14 PM

laht

F.Y.I.

I forgot to mention that a taxi rental for the entire day should cost you around $250 to $275 - depending on how many cruise ships are in port on that day - but, split 7 ways, that's not too bad.
Old May 3rd, 2017, 08:12 AM

Hi guys we just got back a couple months ago, and we were also informed by other ppl visiting the island that local car rental agencies tend to offer cheaper rates and some carry all inclusive insurance unlike many of the big commercial brands heres a few to check out and btw you can have the car delivered to where your staying or simply book online as they are located near the Princess Juliana International Airport (SXM)

www.valuecarrental.com
www.safaricarrental.com
www.bestdealscarrental.com

Im sure you wont be dissapointed. Hope this helps.